This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These pork belly tacos are the best of all worlds! Warm tortillas are stuffed with seasoned pork belly, crunchy cabbage, cilantro, and a drizzle of our easy homemade taco sauce. They come together easily and they're ready in an hour!
Tacos are one of our top five favorite foods, along with pork belly. So when we were dreaming up a new taco flavor, these pork belly tacos came to mind, and they truly are the best of both worlds! It's a really simple recipe that lets the pork belly take center stage. We season the pork belly with our homemade taco seasoning which adds just the right amount of heat.
It gets baked until it's browned and crispy, then we layer it on a warm tortilla with cabbage, cilantro, and our creamy and tangy taco sauce. You could easily swap the taco sauce for our easy guacamole, chipotle aioli, or better yet, a combination because we all know sauce makes everything better.
Mow down on a pork belly taco with one hand, and grab a margarita with the other. They're an easy yet super satisfying dinner for a couple or a crowd, and they're perfect for celebrating Cinco de Mayo, too!
Pork belly taco ingredients
We've kept it really simple with the ingredients in this pork belly taco recipe. Here's everything you need for the pork belly:
- Pork belly – pork belly is a fatty cut that's full of flavor, and finding it is easier than you might think. Look for it at your local butcher or grocery store.
- Taco seasoning – we always have some of our homemade taco seasoning on hand, so that's what we use. But you can use a store-bought blend instead if you'd like.
- Brown sugar – brown sugar offers sweetness and flavor.
- Sea salt – salt enhances all the delicious flavors.
Here's what you need for the tacos:
- Tortillas – use your favorite small flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
- Cabbage – thinly sliced red or green cabbage slaw adds wonderful texture and crunch.
- Taco sauce, limes, and fresh cilantro – we drizzle these tacos with our easy and delicious homemade taco sauce and serve them with some lime wedges and minced cilantro. If you like a little more heat, add some sliced jalapenos!
How to make pork belly tacos
This pork belly tacos recipe makes a quick and delicious meal. Enjoy them for lunch, on busy weeknights, or at celebrations like Cinco de Mayo. Here's how we make them in a couple of easy steps:
- Season pork belly strips evenly with taco seasoning, brown sugar, and sea salt.
- Bake the pork belly in the oven until it's browned and crispy. While it cooks, prepare the other taco ingredients.
- Assemble your tacos by layering a warm tortilla with cooked pork belly, cabbage, cilantro, and a drizzle of taco sauce. You could even add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for a pop of citrus flavor.
What to eat with pork belly tacos
You can make these pork belly tacos your own by adding toppings you love like pickled red onions, sliced jalapeños, avocado, salsa, cotija cheese, or your favorite hot sauce.
They are a lighter meal on their own but they pair wonderfully with other Mexican foods if you're serving a crowd.
Mexican sides that taste great with tacos
What's the difference between pork belly and bacon?
Both bacon and pork belly come from the same part of the pig. The difference is in how they are prepared. Bacon is cured and smoked, whereas pork belly isn't.
Can I use bacon instead?
We wouldn't recommend it for this recipe because it tastes quite different, and will change the overall texture and flavor of the tacos.
Can I use leftover pork belly?
Yes! If you have leftover pork belly, you can absolutely use it. Season it and warm it in the oven for about 10 minutes until heated through.
How long does leftover pork belly last?
Store any leftover pork belly in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Use the leftovers to make more tacos, layer it on a sandwich, or dice it up and toss it in a salad.
For the pork belly
- 1 lb pork belly (sliced into ½" strips)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the tacos
- 8 small tortillas (warmed)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- Taco sauce, limes, and cilantro (to serve)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the pork belly into ½-inch strips (see notes) then sprinkle the taco seasoning, brown sugar, and sea salt evenly over both sides.1 lb pork belly, 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Lay the pork belly slices onto the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the slices over and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes, until the pork belly is browned and crispy – SEE NOTES. Prepare the toppings for the tacos while the pork belly cooks.
- To assemble the tacos, lay a warm tortilla on a plate and top it with a slice of pork belly, some cabbage, cilantro, and a drizzle of taco sauce.8 small tortillas, 2 cups shredded cabbage, Taco sauce, limes, and cilantro
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.