This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy smoked salmon appetizer is as tasty as it is pretty. Individual little cucumber rounds are topped with smoked salmon and lemon dill cream cheese. It's always a hit at parties, and it takes just 15 minutes to make!
These have got to be the cutest little appetizers ever. They're perfect for special occasions like Mother's Day, birthdays, and bridal showers. But they're also so easy enough for simple dinner parties.
We're being completely honest when we say this is the only smoked salmon appetizer recipe you'll ever need. There, we said it.
They're easy, elegant, and everything we're looking for in a party appetizer. But don't let their appearance fool you; They're deceivingly easy and quick to make!
We use mini cucumbers so they're truly bite-sized. Then we top them with tiny slices of rolled-up smoked salmon and pipe on some lemon dill cream cheese. It's that delicious classic combination of smoky salmon, crunchy cucumbers, and lemony cream cheese all prettied up.
Trust us when we say that this party-perfect appetizer will disappear quickly. Make a big salmon appetizer platter so you don't miss out!
Why you'll love this smoked salmon appetizer
- It's super easy to make (they'll make you look like a kitchen rockstar).
- The flavor and texture combinations are out of this world delicious!
- It's elegant enough for special occasions.
- It's a naturally gluten-free appetizer, making it a great option for gluten-free guests.
- Everyone loves them!
Salmon cucumber appetizer ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make the flavorful lemon dill cream cheese:
- Cream cheese – make sure to use regular cream cheese, not light. That full-fat flavor and creamy texture is what we're after.
- Greek yogurt – thick, plain Greek yogurt is what we use.
- Lemon zest + lemon juice – lemon zest and juice offer the perfect pop of bright citrus flavor that marries so well with the other ingredients.
- Fresh dill – for lots of fresh, citrus-like flavor.
- Garlic – one clove is the perfect amount of flavor a kick.
- Sea salt – enhances all the other flavors.
This is what you'll need to assemble the appetizer:
- Mini cucumbers – mini cucumber slices are the perfect pallet for this bite-sized appetizer.
- Smoked salmon – a lox-style smoked salmon sliced into tiny slivers and rolled.
- Dill and fresh cracked black pepper – for garnish.
How to make this smoked salmon appetizer
When it comes to entertaining, we love quick-win recipes like this one that are fun, flavorful, and come together quickly. You can save yourself some prep time by mixing the cream cheese up to two days in advance and storing it in the fridge.
Here's how we make these smoked salmon appetizer bites in just a few simple steps:
- Mix all the lemon dill cream cheese ingredients together. If you're using it right away, transfer it into a piping bag or a resealable bag with a hole cut in the tip. This is way easier (and prettier) than using a spoon. Using it later? Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
- Lay out the sliced cucumbers on a plate or serving platter, and top them with tiny slices of smoked salmon.
- Now the fun part! Pipe some cream cheese on top, then garnish with fresh dill and cracked pepper. Voilà!
What to serve with this smoked salmon appetizer
These smoked salmon cucumber bites are the perfect light start to dinner and pair perfectly with a crisp glass of white wine or a refreshing cocktail like our salty dog cocktail.
Bite-sized appetizer recipes that pair well with this smoked salmon appetizer
If you love smoked salmon, also try these recipes
Can I prepare it ahead of time?
Yes! Make the lemon dill cream cheese up to two days in advance and keep it in your fridge until you are ready to assemble.
Can I serve it on crackers or crostini instead of cucumber?
For sure! We love the fresh juicy taste of cucumber, but you could easily swap it for small slices of fresh bread, little toasts, or crackers. You can also slice the cucumber really thinly and layer the whole thing on bread or crackers.
Is this smoked salmon appetizer healthy?
We think so! With cucumber, smoked salmon, and fresh herbs this appetizer is filled with protein, healthy fats, and lots of nutrients. It's also completely gluten-free.
The Lemon Dill Cream Cheese
- ¾ cup cream cheese (do not use light cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 small garlic clove (grated on a Microplane or very finely minced)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 3 mini cucumbers (sliced)
- 5 ounces cold smoked salmon (lox)
- Dill and fresh cracked pepper (to garnish)
- Add all of the lemon dill cream cheese ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Use electric beaters to whip together. Transfer the cream cheese to a piping bag fitted with a star attachment, or use a small resealable plastic bag and cut off the tip.¾ cup cream cheese, 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, Zest from 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, 1 small garlic clove, A pinch of sea salt
- Lay the cucumber slices out on a serving tray. Roll small strips of the smoked salmon and place them on top of the cucumber slices.3 mini cucumbers, 5 ounces cold smoked salmon
- Pipe the cream cheese on top of the salmon and garnish with a little fresh dill and fresh cracked
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.