Sharp Cheese Bread Bites
These cheese bread bites are the ultimate indulgence. They're made by coating pieces of white bread in butter and imperial sharp cheddar cheese then baking them until they're wonderfully crispy on the outside and soft inside. Bring these out at a party and they'll disappear in seconds!
This recipe was originally published in 2011. We've updated the post with some new photos, and more information but we've left the delicious recipe exactly the same.
Cheese Bread Bites
Everyone who's had these sharp cheese bread bites agrees that they are the best appetizer ever. It's a big statement, but it's true.
They're served warm and wrapped in crispy cheese and are buttery soft in the center. It's truly shocking to see how quickly they disappear from a plate.
And since they can be made ahead of time and baked from frozen, they make the ideal appetizer for family holiday celebrations or when friends stop by for a visit.
What is Imperial Sharp Cheddar Cheese
MacLaren's Imperial Sharp Cheddar Cheese is a famous Canadian cheese with a crumbly texture and wonderfully sharp flavor. Its recognizable red container can be found where other basic cheeses are located in your grocery store – don't look in the deli or fancy cheese section for this one!
What is a good substitute for sharp cheddar cheese?
Unfortunately, McLaren's Imperial Cheese is only available in Canada. But you can substitute it with another type of processed cheese spread.
Merkts Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread is another crumbly yet creamy cheese that can be used instead.
How to make cheese bread bites
Making these cheesy bread bites is a little time-consuming, but they're not difficult to make.
- Start by carefully cutting most of the crust off of an unsliced loaf of white bread. Then, cut it into 1 ½ inch squares. If you have trouble cutting the bread without squishing it, pop the loaf into your freezer for a half hour for it to firm up a little.
- Once the bread is cut into chunks, spread them out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and put them into your freezer until they are frozen.
- Now mix the McLaren's Imperial Cheese with butter and spread this onto the frozen bread pieces. Put the cheese-coated bread back into the freezer.
- When you're ready for a savory treat, bake the bites from frozen for about 15 minutes.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Tips for making the best sharp cheese bread bites
- Start with unsliced bread. This recipe won't be the same if you try to use thin sliced bread. Working with slightly frozen bread makes it easier to cut into cubes.
- Freeze the bread cubes before spreading the cheese and butter mixture onto them. If they start to thaw, return them to the freezer.
- Bake them from frozen. It might be tempting to bake them right away, but freeze them first for the best results.
Popular easy appetizer recipes
- Baked Coconut Shrimp with Mango Sauce
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs
- Easy Hummus
- Chimichurri Steak Bites
- Crispy Eggplant Fries
Sharp Cheese Bread Bites
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 230 gram container of Imperial Sharp Cheese, at room temperature
- Carefully cut most of the crust off of the bread. Gently slice bread into thick (two-bite sized) squares. Put the bread pieces onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze them for 1 hour.1 loaf unsliced white bread
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sharp cheese.1 cup salted butter, 230 gram container of Imperial Sharp Cheese
- Remove bread from the freezer and spread the butter and cheese mixture on all sides of the bread cubes. Return the bread to the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the bread bites in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are starting to turn brown.