This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here's a simple beet appetizer for all our last-minute entertainers. Crispy beet chips are topped with creamy goat cheese, walnuts, and arugula, then drizzled with balsamic glaze. It's easy to make, uses just 5 ingredients, and is ready in 10 minutes!
If you love beets as much as we do, also try our creamy roasted beet hummus, blueberry balsamic glazed beets, or maple roasted beet salad with pistachio goat cheese.
We love easy last-minute appetizer recipes like this for nights when we find ourselves unexpectedly hosting a hungry crowd. This bite-size beet and goat cheese appetizer is full of flavor and looks pretty, too.
To save on time we use bagged beet chips, but you can make your own, too (see our how-to below). We make it and then serve it right away so the chips stay crunchy.
How to make your own beet chips
If you have a bit of time, making your own beet chips is easy to do! Here's how:
- Simply wash a few small beets well then slice them as thin as possible, about 6 slices per beet. Toss them with oil and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, flipping them over and baking for another 7-10 minutes. Watch them carefully so that they don't burn. Reduce heat to 220 degrees and continue to bake them until they are almost crispy, between 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- Remove them from the oven, toss with salt, and set them aside to cool.
Here's everything you'll need to make this beet appetizer with goat cheese:
- Beet chips – we usually buy two bags of beet chips to make sure that we find enough larger and nice-looking chips for this recipe.
- Goat cheese – for its creamy, tangy taste.
- Walnuts – for a wonderful nutty crunch.
- Arugula – slightly peppery and earthy, and adds a vibrant pop of green.
- Balsamic glaze – a little sweet-sour drizzle balances everything out.
How to make this beet appetizer
It's easy to make this beet appetizer in a few simple steps:
- Go through your bags of beet chips to find the best-looking ones (about 24) and then arrange them on a plate.
- Top each beet with some goat cheese.
- Sprinkle a few walnut pieces on top, followed by a piece of arugula, and then drizzle a little balsamic glaze on top and serve these tasty bites right away. That's it!
Can I make this ahead of time?
This appy is best eaten right away because, after a bit of time, the balsamic drizzle will soak into the beet chips and soften them.
I can't find beet chips, what else can I use?
Sweet potato or even carrot chips will provide that crunchy bit of sweetness that goes so well in this recipe.
Variations to try
This beet appetizer recipe is versatile so you can put your own spin on it. Here are some ideas to switch up the flavors and textures:
- Use a different soft cheese like cream cheese, ricotta, burrata, or even feta crumbles.
- Switch up the nuts; pecans or almonds make a good substitute.
- Try candied nuts or seeds for an extra-sweet crunch.
- Use a runny honey in place of the balsamic glaze.
- Swap the arugula for fresh herbs like chives, parsley, mint, or basil.
- 1 bag beet chips (see notes)
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon walnuts (finely chopped)
- 24 leaves baby arugula (or microgreens)
- Balsamic glaze (to drizzle)
- Go through the bag of beet chips and pick out the best-looking 24 and put them onto a plate1 bag beet chips
- Top each beet chip with a small piece of goat cheese.¼ cup goat cheese
- Sprinkle a few walnuts on top of the goat cheese, top with a piece of arugula, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve right away.24 leaves baby arugula, Balsamic glaze, 1 tablespoon walnuts
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.