Easy Fail-Proof Risotto Recipe
I know that there is a lot of hype on the interweb about risotto being hard to make. I've read forums full of discussion about how difficult it is and people expressing their fear about this creamy little rice dish. But I'm here to tell you one thing:
Risotto is very easy to make!
It's so easy to make that it's virtually impossible to mess up. And … it doesn't require nearly as much attention as some suggest. Once you have everything ready to go (i.e.: broth warmed, the onions sautéed and the parmesan cheese grated) it will only take you 20-25 minutes before it is ready to go. During that time, you can be making a salad, washing the dishes or making headway into that big glass of wine wine that I know you poured yourself. (I'm hoping you poured yourself a big glass since I know that's what I would do.)
Here's a few tricks to making easy fail-proof risotto:
- Make sure that the broth you add is hot.
- The flavour of the broth will play a big factor in the flavour of the risotto so use the best you have. Homemade stock or broth is definitely preferred.
- Give the risotto a good stir after you add more broth and again right before the next ladle full. You want to ‘massage' the rice so that it becomes creamy but that doesn't mean you need to stir it constantly.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, taste the risotto each time before you add more broth to make sure you don't overcook it. It should be soft but not mushy.
- Don't be afraid of risotto! Trust me, you can do this.
If you want to serve this for a dinner party, get everything prepped and ready to go before your guests arrive:
- Sauté the onions and garlic then add the arborio rice and remove the pan from the heat. 25 minutes before you are going to serve it pop it back on the heat.
- Put the stock in a pot and bring it to a low simmer.
- Grate the parmesan and chop the thyme.
If you make this Easy Fail-Proof Risotto Recipe, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This Easy Fail-Proof Risotto Recipe will have you making risotto in no time. These tips and tricks will get you creamy, cheesy risotto!
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 ½ cups dry white wine
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1–2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh (not dried!) thyme leaves*
- Place the chicken or vegetable stock in a medium sized pot over high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat so that it stays at a low simmer.
- Place the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until it is soft and just starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the arborio rice to the pot and for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the wine to the pot and stir until it has been mostly absorbed.
- Add a ladle full of the hot broth to the pot and stir well. Continue stirring occasionally until it has been mostly absorbed, about 1-2 minutes. Continue adding the broth, 1 ladle at a time waiting until most of the broth has been absorbed by the rice before you add more. Stir the rice a few times between each addition of broth. The risotto is cooked when the rice is soft but not mushy .. think al dente pasta.
- When the risotto is soft remove the pan from the heat and stir through the parmesan cheese. Season to taste generously with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Stir in the optional thyme.
Dried thyme can often have an off, slightly musty taste that can quickly ruin a dish. Make sure to only use fresh thyme.