Pesto Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes
Pesto Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes are a must make side dish/ appetizer. The hollowed out tomato halves are stuffed with an easy to make, garlicky pesto then roasted until the cheese melts and the tomatoes are soft. They're delicious!
All the Pesto Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes love
- Flavorful roasted tomatoes with pesto and parmesan are all things delicious.
- Pesto is a personal favorite and this garlicky version is the best in roasted tomatoes.
- They're a side dish that goes with just about anything you're serving.
- They transform easily into an appetizer. Serve them at the start of your meal and voila, you have a pesto stuffed tomatoes appetizer!
- This is a super easy to make recipe. If you can whizz a few ingredients in your food processor or blender and cut a tomato in half then you can make this.
It's all about the garlic pesto
This is a super simple, 5-ingredient pesto recipe. Five if you don't count the salt, which I never do. Why count something that no recipe can live without?
It's heavy on the basil, garlic, and parmesan. This isn't a pesto you'd want to toss on pasta but it's perfect stuffed into tomatoes and roasted in the oven. The garlic gets toned down a little when the pesto is cooked, which is why I like to use 3 whole cloves in here.
You'll also notice that there's no lemon juice in this pesto. It's almost sacrilegious, I know. Because we're using it to stuff into tomatoes, we don't need the extra acidity.
Warning: If you taste this pesto before you dig into the tomatoes, you'll think that it's too salty. On its own, it is too salty. Just remember that it has to be salty enough for both the pesto and the tomatoes.
Once you've made your garlicky pesto (that shouldn't take you any more than 2 minutes. this is seriously fast pesto) you'll want to use it to stuff the tomatoes.
For the pictures, I used basic beefsteak tomatoes. If you have some nice heirloom tomatoes, go ahead and use those. They'll make this recipe even better!
Original post date: April 10th, 2012
I'm tempted to start this post with, “OMG these are the most delicious, yummiest, addictive tomatoes you will ever eat.” But what does all my superlative ranting really mean anyway? It means: these are the most delicious, yummiest, addictive tomatoes you will ever eat. Seriously.
It's been less than 24 hours (closer to 17 actually), and I've already polished off the second batch of these warm, cheesy, garlic-y, basil-y, tomatoes.
Would it be too much to make them for dinner again tonight? No, not at all? Awesome. I think I will.
I polished off a big plate last night for dinner while flipping through the newest Bon Appetit that arrived in the mail. Today I ate an even bigger plate while sitting in front of my computer. But you don't need to be so hermit-like while eating these.
These pesto stuffed roasted tomatoes would be so pretty on a plate next to roast chicken or on top of a big pile of baby greens. Made with little cherry tomatoes I'm sure they would be the first appetizer to go at any party.
The original picture of these Pesto Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes (2012)
If you’re interested in learning a few tricks that I did to improve my food photography, check out the posts 10 Food Photography Tips for New Food Bloggers and The 10 Best Food Photography Props to Improve Your Food Photography and The Food Photography Equipment I Use.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Easy vegetable side dish recipes:
- Roasted Tandoori Cauliflower with Tahini Yogurt
- Sesame Garlic Miso Butter Mushrooms
- Roasted Broccoli Steaks with Butter Toasted Pine Nuts
- Blueberry Balsamic Glazed Beets
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Orange Balsamic Roasted Okra
Pesto Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes are a must make side dish/ appetizer. The hollowed out tomato halves are stuffed with an easy to make, garlicky pesto them roasted until the cheese melts and the tomatoes are soft. They're delicious!
| vegetarian + gluten-free + keto |
- 4 tomatoes, cut in half diagonally
- 2/3 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Hollow out each tomato half and nestle them into an ovenproof baking dish or cast iron pan.
- Place the basil, 1/4 cup of the parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, and sea salt into a small food processor and blend until a chunky pesto forms.
- Stuff the tomato halves with the pesto (about 1 tablespoon per tomato half) then top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Roast the pesto stuffed tomatoes for 20-25 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and the cheese has melted.