Looking at these photos makes me think of summer. Pesto zucchini noodles, cherry tomatoes and lemons don't exactly look like autumn. I needed a little change from the chilis, stews and pumpkin, and I thought you might, too.
Don't get me wrong, I've been loving the pumpkin obsession that's been going on here. I get a little worried some days that you might put your foot down soon and tell me I need to move on. If you've been feeling overloaded with warm fall recipes, these pesto zucchini noodles are for you.
The noodles are covered in a dairy-free avocado pesto that is 100% vegan + paleo + super delicious. I've used sunflower seeds in place of traditional pine nut. Honestly, pine nuts are outrageously expensive here, and I just can't bring myself to buy them. Are they over priced in your stores, too?
This pesto zucchini noodle recipe is a light and super healthy dinner. It's basically like eating a giant salad for dinner, in pasta form. Awesome, right?!
This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving. I'm preparing to stuff myself with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and about 500 liters of gravy. These pesto zucchini noodles are my way of getting prepped for the big turkey day tomorrow. Eating healthy today so I can pig out tomorrow. Solid plan, right?
I have a feeling that come Tuesday my body will be craving another giant bowl of salad parading itself around as pesto zucchini noodles. So healthy and so delicious!
If you make this Creamy Avocado Pesto Zucchini Noodles recipe, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon oil
- 4 medium zucchinis, cut into noodles with a spiralizer (this is the one that I have) or julienne peeler
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled and pit removed
- ¼ cup spinach, divided
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup water, olive oil or a combination (see notes)
- 1 garlic clove
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes, or until they are soft, and a few have burst.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, place a colander in your sink and put a pot of lightly salted water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Once it begins to boil, drop the zucchini noodles in, wait 30 seconds then drop in the 2 cups of spinach and stir the pot. Immediately pour the noodles and spinach into the colander and let it drain well.
- Combine all the pesto ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour the pesto over the well-drained zucchini noodles and toss to coat. Season to taste with sea salt (I like about one teaspoon).
- Serve the zucchini noodles with the burst tomatoes and a few sunflower seeds over top.