This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chocolate chip walnut banana bread is dense, moist, and full of flavor. It's hearty enough to pack in your bag for the perfect breakfast on the go, a satisfying snack, or anytime treat. It's simple to make and ready in just over an hour!
Also, try our banana bread recipe!
There are times when only a slice of banana bread will do. This is a straightforward recipe for classic-tasting banana bread with chocolate chips and walnuts. There are no fancy ingredients, just all the delicious, sweet banana flavor you'd expect, dotted with gooey chocolate, and toothsome walnuts.
This banana bread with chocolate chips and walnuts makes a delicious homemade anytime treat or quick breakfast on the go. Double the batch and freeze one, or gift one to a friend. It's absolutely irresistible so it will disappear quickly!
How to make banana bread with walnuts and chocolate chips
This is a simple recipe for moist banana bread that is full of flavor. Here's how to make it in a few easy steps:
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, then mix in the eggs, sugar, and melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.)
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and fold everything together gently. Add the chocolate chips and walnuts and mix until just incorporated.
- Pour it into a buttered loaf pan then top with a few more chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Now it's baking time! Bake it for about an hour, testing at 45 minutes with a toothpick inserted into the center. The loaf is ready when the toothpick comes out clean.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Here's everything you'll need to make this decadent chocolate walnut banana bread:
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Chocolate chips
Can I swap the walnuts?
We love the unique taste and texture of walnuts in this recipe but in a pinch, you could use almonds, pecans, or peanuts.
How long does it last on the counter?
Banana bread will stay fresh on the counter for up to 5 days. If you know you won't eat it all, slice it up and freeze it in an air-tight container. Leftovers freeze well for up to a month!
Can I make it gluten-free?
This recipe has only been tested with all-purpose flour. But if you want to experiment, you could try swapping the all-purpose flour for your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
How to serve banana bread
Banana bread makes a great on-the-go breakfast, healthier snack, or anytime treat to satisfy your sweet tooth. We love it with a generous smear of homemade butter or nut butter.
Popular banana bread recipes
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Poppy Seed Lemon Banana Bread
- Paleo Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 5"x9" loaf pan. Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Add the eggs, brown sugar, and melted butter and whisk well.3 medium bananas, 2 large eggs, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup butter
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture. When only a few streaks of flour remain, add the chocolate chips and walnuts and fold them into the batter.1 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Top with a few extra walnuts and chocolate chips, if you'd like.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cleck the loaf after 45 minutes and, if it's browning too quickly, cover the top loosely with foil. Remove the banana bread from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes in the pan then invert the pan to remove the bread and let it finish cooling on a cooling rack.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.