This easy to make Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry takes less than an hour (mostly hands-off time) to make and is packed full of delicious Indian flavors. It’s a healthy vegan recipe that makes a perfect meatless Monday dinner recipe. Make extras and you’ll have a giant smile on your face at lunch the next day.
It’s July! It’s summer! It’s the season of BBQ and no cook recipes! And here I am, sharing a coconut lentil curry recipe with you. Say whaaaaa??!!
You guys, this is what badass curry dreams are made of. For reals. I’m talking one pot and less than an hour till you’re in coconut lentil curry HEAVEN. ?
I don’t care how hot it is outside, it’s always a good time for a bowl of hot curry. I mean, it’s stinkin’ hot in India and peeps eat curry there all the time. They must be onto something.
When I was doing the whole right of passage, backpacking around Asia thing in my early 20s, locals would always tell me that eating hot food on a hot day would cool you down. Makes no sense to me at all, but if you put a bowl of hot curry in front of me and it’s a bazillion degrees outside, I’ll still eat it. I mean really, how could you not?
This coconut lentil curry recipe is ridiculously simple to make. Five bucks says you’re going to look at the recipe and think, “No way THIS recipe could be one of the BEST curry recipes.” But it is. For reals.
The original recipe comes from a well dog-eared cookbook of mine called, Vij’s at Home. I’ve made some changes to the original recipe so it suits my taste:
♡ Coconut oil replaces the cooking oil (and I use MUCH less of it)
♡ Coriander seeds replace ground coriander as I love the little pop of crunch they give.
♡ Crushed tomatoes replace fresh tomatoes (so I can be lazy and not blend them)
♡ Harder to find mung beans take a hike and are replaced with brown lentils
♡ Cilantro gets piled on high.
♡ Cherry tomatoes get thrown in during the last few minutes of cooking (because heck, why not?!)
If you make this Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon each: cumin seeds and coriander seeds
- 1 head of garlic, chopped
- 1 - 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup brown lentils (dried, not canned)
- Optional: 1-2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 1 - 15-ounce can coconut milk
- A few handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and toast until they start to brown, about 45 seconds. Add the garlic to the pot and let it brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, and sea salt to the pot and cook, stirring the pot a few times, for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and, if using, the cayenne powder and 4 cups of water to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir the pot a few times to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom.
- Once the lentils are soft, add the coconut milk and cherry tomatoes and bring the pot back to a simmer. Remove the pot from the heat and stir
More Mind Blowing Curry Recipes: