I have a confession to make: I’ve never watched the Superbowl. (My fingers are crossed that you’ll not disown me) While I attended a Super Bowl party a few years back, I spent the majority of the time chatting in the kitchen. You’re probably wondering what I’m doing writing a post about the Super Bowl.
The truth is, I love any excuse to make silly themed food. While I might not watch the Super Bowl, I’ve spent the last few days dreaming of food I could shape into mini footballs. I came up with a few ideas on my own, but it was Rosie’s Sprinkled Chocolate Party Spoons on her blog Sweetapolita that I drew the inspiration for these Chocolate Orange Football Spoons.
The dark chocolate spoons are boozy with a heavy hint of orange. They make a quick, easy and impressive (got to love when impressive is quick and easy!) treat to serve at your Super Bowl party.
Got mini football fans who would love a mini chocolate football? These little guys would be super fun and easy for kids to help make, although you may want to swap the booze for flavour extracts 🙂
- ½ cup dark chocolate
- 1 gob of butter
- A splash or two (or more) of Grand Marnier
- Optional: 4-5 dashes of orange bitters
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoons water
- Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over over medium-low heat. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from heat and add Grand Marnier and orange bitters, if using. Whisk to combine.
- If the chocolate is too thick, add a splash of water.
- Combine icing sugar and water and add to a pastry bag fitted with a tiny tip.
- Using a teaspoon, pour chocolate into plastic or bamboo spoons. Set aside till chocolate is firm.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a tiny tip, draw on the stitching to resemble a football. Let icing harden before serving.
The flavour possibilities are endless:
- Mint Chocolate – Creme de menthe
- Coconut Chocolate – Malibu
- Coffee Chocolate – Espresso vodka
- Boozy Chocolate – Brandy
- Almond Chocolate – Amaretto
- Bacon Chocolate – Add a little piece of bacon on the bottom of the spoon
- Aztec Chocolate – Cinnamon and chilli powder
- Peanut Butter Chocolate – Mix in a little peanut butter