This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Football Spoons are a perfect dessert for Super Bowl Sunday! They're super easy to make and make a playful addition to any game day table. Plus you can add lots of different flavors or make a boozy version for adult get togethers.
It's Super Bowl Sunday this weekend!
To celebrate I've remade us these super cute Chocolate Football Spoons. Are they not the best, or what? They're also the 29th Throw Back Thursday post I've done.
And sidebar – what's going to happen when I've replaced all the old, ugly photos on the blog with fancy new #tbt updates? Hmm …
Anyway, these Chocolate Football Spoons. They couldn't be any easier to make. Here's the deal:
1. Melt chocolate. Add super fun flavors like mint, Bailey's, Grand Mariner, peanut butter, or bourbon. Or keep them simple and delicious chocolate.
2. Pour the melted chocolate onto spoons.
3. Decorate the footballs with icing.
It's so easy!
And BTW those sprinkles … that's because I think football can be glittery, too. 🙂
Original post date: January 27th, 2012
I have a confession to make: I've never watched the Superbowl. (My fingers are crossed that you'll not disown me) While I attended a Super Bowl party a few years back, I spent the majority of the time chatting in the kitchen. You're probably wondering what I'm doing writing a post about the Super Bowl.
The truth is, I love any excuse to make silly themed food. While I might not watch the Super Bowl, I've spent the last few days dreaming of food I could shape into mini footballs. I came up with a few ideas on my own, but it was Rosie's Sprinkled Chocolate Party Spoons on her blog Sweetapolita that I drew the inspiration for these Chocolate Orange Football Spoons.
The dark chocolate spoons are boozy with a heavy hint of orange. (Update: I've kept them simple this time around. There are lots of different flavors you can choose from if you'd like to fancy them up a little!) They make a quick, easy, and impressive (got to love when impressive is quick and easy!) treat to serve at your Super Bowl party.
Got mini football fans who would love a mini chocolate football? These little guys would be super fun and easy for kids to help make, although you may want to swap the booze for flavor extracts 🙂
If you love these Chocolate Football Spoons as much as I do make sure you give them a 5-star review in the comments below!
The Chocolate Spoons
- ½ cup shaved dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of one of the add-ons
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- Mint Chocolate – Creme de menthe
- Coconut Chocolate – Malibu
- Coffee Chocolate – Espresso vodka
- Boozy Chocolate – Brandy
- Almond Chocolate – Amaretto
- Bacon Chocolate – Add a little piece of bacon to the bottom of the spoon
- Aztec Chocolate – Cinnamon and chili powder
- Peanut Butter Chocolate – Mix in a little peanut butter
For the chocolate
- Melt chocolate, butter, and, if using, one of the optional add-ins in a small saucepan over low heat.½ cup shaved dark chocolate, 1 teaspoon butter
For the icing
- In a small bowl, whisk the icing sugar and water. Add the icing to a pastry bag fitted with a tiny tip. You can also use a resealable plastic bag and cut the tip off of one of the corners.¼ cup icing sugar, 1 teaspoon water
- Lay two wooden spoons on a baking tray. (This is to level the spoons.)
- Using a teaspoon, pour some chocolate into a spoon then gently tap the spoon on your counter to level the chocolate. Place the spoon on the baking tray, resting the handle on the wooden spoon. Repeat with the remaining spoons. Set aside until the chocolate is firm.
- Draw on the stitching using the icing so the spoons resemble a football. Let icing harden before serving.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.