For the past two days I’ve been staring at this post trying to figure out how to tell you guys just how good this soup is without sounding boring or repetitive. So far all I’ve come up with is: “this soup is really really good.” Writer’s block? Or maybe it was the bourbon that found its way into my glass after it found its way into this soup. #fuzzyhead
It is true though, this soup is really really good. I don’t think I need to tell you that cause I’m pretty sure the title says it all. I was planning on shortening the title to something a little more reasonable in length but every part is just so tasty that I didn’t have the heart to pick and choose.
This soup has nearly all of my favourite food “things” all in one tasty bowl:
- Cinnamon toast
It’s warm and creamy, sweet and salty, crunchy and smooth. It’s almost dessert like but also so savoury. It’s comfort food and something unique all at the same time. This soup’s got it all.
I have to send out a big THANK YOU to Jessica from How Sweet It Is for inspiring this recipe (big time!) I’ve made several changes and added a few things (cause that’s what we cooks do, right) but without her post this soup wouldn’t be. So thank you, Jessica!
I was a little worried about the cinnamon toast croutons at first as they don’t taste very cinnamon-y on their own. Don’t worry if you notice the same thing, once you eat them with the soup the cinnamon really pops. I added the bourbon butter as I wanted a stronger bourbon taste and the butter drizzled on top makes for great presentation. And then of course I added bacon because, well, I love bacon.
Make sure to follow The Endless Meal!
- 4 strips of bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, about 4 pounds*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and fresh creaked pepper, to taste
- 4 pieces bread, crusts cut off and cut into squares (use gluten free bread if you want to keep this gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon bourbon, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the bacon on top. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the bacon is quite crispy. Remove the bacon from the baking sheet and, when cool enough to handle, crumble.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red chili flakes and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bourbon and let it boil for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck on bits.
- Add the sweet potatoes and chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Working in batches, purée the the soup until it is very smooth. A high speed blender will work the best here. If you are using a regular blender and want a very smooth soup simply run the puréed soup through a fine mesh sieve.
- Reheat the soup then add the cream (make sure not to boil the soup once you've added the cream so that it doesn't curdle) and season to taste generously with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cubes of bread in a medium sized bow. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over high heat. Pour the melted butter over the bread and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and toss well.
- Lay the croutons on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, turing halfway, until the croutons are crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Store in a resealable plastic bag.
- Add the butter and 1 tablespoon of the bourbon to a small frying pan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through the remaining 1 teaspoon of bourbon.
- Top the soup with croutons, sprinkle over the bacon and drizzle with the bourbon butter.