This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We're putting a Caribbean twist on a classic with this refreshing rum mule! It's light, crisp, and everything we love about a Moscow mule but with the bold taste of spiced rum. It's as enjoyable on a patio as it is in front of a fireplace, and it's easy to mix up in under 5 minutes!
If you're a fan of the classic Moscow mule, you'll love this twist that swaps vodka for rum. It's a light, crisp, and crowd-pleasing cocktail with subtle notes of caramel and spice.
It's a super simple cocktail to make that doesn't require any shaking or special equipment. Just fill a glass with ice, pour in the rum and lime juice, top with ginger beer, and stir. Garnish with a lime wheel, ginger slices, and fresh mint before serving.
Unlike many Moscow mule recipes out there, we don't use any added sugar or simple syrup. The ginger beer and spiced rum offer enough sweetness to offset the tanginess of the lime juice.
You can serve it in a rocks glass or a copper mug in true mule fashion. Beyond the looks, the copper mug actually serves a purpose. The copper enhances the flavors and aromas of the drink while keeping it colder for longer.
This mule with rum is a cocktail recipe for rum lovers. It's a wonderful summertime drink, but the rum and ginger flavors are perfect for the fall and winter months, too!
What's in a rum mule?
There are a lot of mule variations out there, but you only need three simple ingredients to make this rum mule recipe: rum, lime juice, and ginger beer. The copper mug is optional, but keeps your cocktail nice and frosty!
- Rum – any type of rum will work for this recipe but we love the smooth taste of a dark rum or spiced rum.
- Lime juice – only fresh lime juice will do for added tang and a pop of citrus flavor.
- Ginger beer – traditional ginger beer used to be a naturally fermented beverage, but it's now more commonly sold as a sweetened and carbonated non-alcoholic beverage. It's got a wonderfully spicy ginger flavor, with a tangy aftertaste.
- Lime slices, ginger slices, and fresh mint leaves – for garnish.
How to make a Moscow mule with rum
A rum mule is a light, crisp, and crowd-pleasing cocktail. It's also quick and easy to mix up in just two simple steps!
- Fill your glass with ice and then add the rum and lime juice. Top with ginger beer, and give it all a stir.
- Garnish with slices of lime, ginger slices, and mint, and serve right away.
Can I make Moscow mule with rum?
Yes! When a Moscow mule cocktail is made with rum it's called a rum mule or a dark and stormy cocktail.
What's the best type of rum to use?
We love the flavor of spiced rum so that's what we use for this recipe. You can certainly use different types of rum like white or dark rum, it will just yield a slightly different tasting drink.
Can I use ginger ale instead of ginger beer?
Yes, you can. Ginger ale is less spicy and sweeter so it will taste different, but will still make a great cocktail.
- 2 ounces rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- Lime slices, ginger slices, and mint (to serve)
- Fill a glass with ice and then add the rum and lime juice. Top with some ginger beer and then give your mule a quick stir.2 ounces rum, 4 ounces ginger beer, 1 ounce lime juice
- Garnish with a few lime slices, slices of ginger, and mint and serve right away.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.