This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This simple pea soup, made with fresh or frozen peas and kitchen-staple ingredients, is ready in only 15 minutes. It's a quick and healthy lunch or dinner option. You will love it!
Reasons to love this pea soup recipe
- This pea soup is bursting with the flavor of fresh peas, even though we usually make it with frozen peas.
- It's light and bright flavor makes it an ideal spring or summer soup recipe.
- Serve it warm or chilled. Your choice!
- It's amazingly quick and easy to make. If you're starving, make this. You'll be sitting down to a delicious bowl of soup in only 15 minutes.
Why make pea soup with frozen peas
Frozen peas are super convenient. We always have a bag of them in our freezer. The great thing about peas is that they retain most of their fresh taste even when frozen.
And once they're blended into this soup, all you will taste is delicious fresh peas. You'll never know the soup is made with frozen peas.
If you have fresh peas on hand you can absolutely use them. Simply simmer the peas in the stock for 5 minutes to cook them.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 6 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 2 ½ ounces fresh or frozen spinach
- 4 cups stock (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Optional: ½ cup yogurt or sour cream
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is transparent, about 3 minutes.1 tablespoon butter, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the peas, spinach, stock, and thyme and bring nearly to a simmer. (If you are using fresh peas, simmer for 5 minutes.)6 cups frozen or fresh peas, 2 ½ ounces fresh or frozen spinach, 4 cups stock, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or in 2 batches in a regular blender. Return the soup to the heat and warm through. If using, add the yogurt then season to taste with salt.Optional: ½ cup yogurt or sour cream, Sea salt
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.