This Easy Baked Lasagna is the perfect comfort food with extra cheese and braised beef.
Do you see all that cheese spilling over the edge of this baked lasagna and getting all deliciously crispy? I think I got a little carried away 🙂
I do that sometimes, get carried away. Remember when I put bacon, caramelized onions AND cheddar cheese in some devilled eggs? Ya, they were delicious too, just like this easy baked lasagna.
This lasagna is a little different than the norm. It's made with braised beef rather than ground beef so the texture is a lot hardier and more feels meatier. Don't worry though, even though it might sound fancy it is still really easy to make.
If you make this Easy Baked Lasagna make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This Easy Baked Lasagna is the perfect comfort food with extra cheese and braised beef. Adapted from Jamie Oliver
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh herbs (sage, oregano, rosemary, thyme)
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds of stewing beef
- 2 large (28 ounce) cans of plum tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups red wine or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 butternut squash, halved, unseeded and roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 sheets lasagna sheets, fresh or dried
- 1 ball of mozzarella, torn up or 1 cup grated
For the white sauce
- 500 ml sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce or prawn stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- A little milk, optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, carrot, garlic and herbs in a good splash of olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add the beef, tomatoes, wine or water, chili flakes and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 ½ hours.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Rub the butternut squash slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the white sauce together in a small bowl. Add a little milk to thin, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- If using dried lasagna sheets, cook for half the recommended time on the package. If using fresh lasagna, do NOT pre cook.
- Remove the lid from the pot with the beef in it. Carefully (it will be very hot!) shred the beef using 2 forks.
To assemble the lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread a small layer of the tomato meat sauce over the bottom of a lasagna dish. Layer 4 sheets of lasagna sheets over top. Top with a layer of the tomato meat sauce, a little white sauce, a sprinkle of parmesan and a handful of squash. Repeat for 3 more layers. Finish with a layer of white sauce over top of the last layer of lasagna noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella and a little extra parmesan. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until lasagna is bubbling and the cheese is golden. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes before digging in.