This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This crockpot butter chicken recipe is the slow cooker version of our popular easy butter chicken. It's a simple recipe that is a guaranteed winner!
Crockpot Butter Chicken
We've taken our popular butter chicken recipe and turned it into a crockpot recipe!
Even though the original recipe is not time-consuming, sometimes we want to get dinner set up so it's ready to eat when we're hungry.
It's a very easy recipe and it will only take you a few minutes to put together.
How to make butter chicken in a slow cooker
You can see in the picture above that this recipe is made in a few easy steps.
- Blend the sauce. Here you'll put all the sauce ingredients into the blender so that the onion, garlic, and other tasty things are nice and smooth.
- Now pour the sauce into your crockpot and add the chicken. Easy!
- Once the butter chicken has finished cooking, add some cream, coconut milk, or yogurt to the slow cooker and mix it into the sauce.
That's it! All you have left to do is enjoy your butter chicken feast!
Tips for making crockpot butter chicken
- Try to avoid buying chicken that has been injected with water. That water can release during cooking and make the sauce a little thin.
- Butter chicken at some restaurants can be very sweet. If this is the way you prefer yours, add a little extra sugar at the end.
- Fresh spices make a big difference in the end flavor. Smell your spices first; if the smell is faint, it's time to replace them.
- 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons EACH: almond butter and coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon EACH: turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili powder, and salt
- 4 chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½ cup whipping cream, plain yogurt, or coconut milk
- Add the canned tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, almond butter, coconut sugar, garam masala, turmeric coriander, cumin, chili powder, and salt to your blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour the sauce into your slow cooker.28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes, 1 yellow onion, 3 tablespoons chopped ginger, 6 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons EACH: almond butter and coconut sugar, 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon EACH: turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili powder, and salt
- Add the chicken and mix well. Turn your slow cooker to high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.4 chicken breasts
- When you are ready to eat, stir in the cream, yogurt, or coconut milk. Taste and add more salt, if needed.½ cup whipping cream, plain yogurt, or coconut milk
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.