I don’t mean to brag, but … Ok I’m going to brag a little. This dairy free vanilla coconut ice cream is as good as it gets. It’s super creamy and full of rich vanilla flavour and just a hint of coconut in the background. You’d never guess it is dairy free.
I made this ice cream (and some grilled peaches with vanilla sugar) for dessert at the Supper Club last weekend. It was a hit with every hardcore meat eater, vegetarian and vegan at the table.
One of the absolutely lovely guests that evening wrote about this vanilla coconut ice cream on The Endless Meal’s Facebook wall the next day saying that she “was almost in tears the dessert was that good.”
- 3 cans coconut milk (use the highest fat coconut milk you can find. The higher the fat the more creamy the ice cream. Remember that low fat coconut milk will result in an icy texture.)
- 1 cup raw cane sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, scraped
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized pot and heat over medium low heat until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate until cool then process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Place in a container and cover with a piece of parchment paper directly on the ice cream to help prevent any ice crystals from forming.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours in your fridge.
Craving more ice cream? Check out: