I have a confession to make: I ate a lot of this salad. I mean A LOT. Actually, I mean all of it. In one sitting.
It was that good.
This salad is full of flavours and textures. Super sweet roasted corn, crunchy red pepper and onion and creamy avocado with little bits of mint and chipotle in the background. Mint? Yep, you read that right. And it was delicious, like a little surprise hiding in the background. If you’re not fussy about mint I think cilantro would be an awesome substitute.
I had no intention of eating all of it; I only wanted a bowl. Once that was done I ate the other bowl you see in the picture, then the other one. Don’t judge, it’s not like I was doing that with bowls of ice cream.
A big thank you to Doug from Culinary Engineering for sending me yet another great recipe. That’s three for three so far! I thought the Chipotle and Orange Pulled Chicken was my fav, then I tried the Bourbon Sour, but now I’ve settled on this salad
When I’ve not been pigging out on this salad I’ve been busy creating a resource page for other food bloggers. It’s still a work in progress but I would love to know what you think and hear any feedback you might have. If you have time, stop by the Resources for Food Bloggers page or 10 Photography Tips for New Food Bloggers
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Dressing: ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh mint, (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Roast corn kernels in a single layer on an baking sheet for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk lemon juice, mint, oil, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and sugar. Add celery, red pepper and onion; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate corn and salad separately for up to 24 hours.)
- Add corn and avocado; toss gently to combine.