Is peanut butter not the best flavour in the world? I can’t imagine what I would do in a peanut free world. One of the worst fates I could imagine would be to turn into one of those people I feel soooo sorry for: those people who have peanut allergies. I can’t even bare to think about it.
And peanut butter + bananas = omg yes!! These peanut butter banana cupcakes are kind of like eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a little honey drizzled over (you do that too, right?), but just so much better. And prettier.
Aaaaand … if you promise not to laugh I’ll tell you something else about these cupcakes. They’re kind of healthy for you to. Healthy cupcakes? I know, it seems weird to me too.
The thing is that the cupcake part really is pretty healthy. There’s not much sugar, very little butter and half the flour is whole wheat so all in all they’re not so bad. I also tried to convince myself that the icing was healthy too since most of the butter is replaced by banana, but then I remembered the sugar. Oh ya, that whole 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar isn’t so healthy, I guess. The good news is that even without the icing these cupcakes are super yummy.
I have to thank three people for making these cupcakes a reality. (Does that sentence sound like I’m accepting an Oscar award, or is it just me?) The first is my handsome man who, after I told him I was thinking of making carrot cake cupcakes, reminded me that in the past month I have shared with you recipes for Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting AND Carrot Cake Whoopie Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting. It might have been a carrot cake overload so he suggested banana bread. The second person I have to thank for these is Erica from Coffee & Quinoa and her amazing pictures of her Peanut Butter Birthday Cupcakes with Banana Buttercream Frosting. And finally there’s Reeni over at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice and her recipe for Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread that this cupcake recipe is based off of.
So as cute as these cupcakes are the reality is that I ate most of them like this:
And nope, I didn’t paint my nails to match the background.
If you make these Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes with Banana Frosting, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (about 3 medium)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup salted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup mashed banana (about 1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- 2½ cups icing (powdered) sugar
- All-natural creamy peanut butter
- Thin slices of banana
- Chopped toasted or sugared peanuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together both the flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric beater. Add the peanut butter, mashed banana, egg and vanilla and beat until well combined and creamy. Add the yogurt and water and beat till combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour the batter evenly among the 18 cupcake liners. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. The cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of them comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Cream together the butter and mashed banana in a medium bowl using an electric beater. Add the lemon juice, vanilla and salt and beat till combined. Add the icing sugar ½ cup at a time and beat until the icing is smooth and thick.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled pipe or spread the icing on top. Optional: spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each cupcake before you add the icing. Top with a thin slice of banana and some chopped sugared peanuts. Extra yum!