This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These coconut bourbon cupcakes are light, fluffy, and totally irresistible. They're sophisticated cupcakes with spiked frosting and are perfect for adult birthday parties, bachelorettes, or holiday treats.
If you like bourbon in desserts, also try our bourbon bacon peanut butter cookies!
Table of contents
These liquor-flavored cupcakes are perfect for bourbon (or whiskey!) lovers. The coconut cupcakes are spiked with bourbon and we've snuck some bourbon into the buttercream for the ultimate dessert.
If you're looking for a fun dessert for a party, these bourbon cupcakes will fit the bill. They're a great way to enjoy a boozy flavor without getting a buzz.
Also, don't miss our peanut butter banana cupcakes!
Ingredients for this recipe
To make the bourbon cupcakes, you'll need these ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Coconut oil
How to make bourbon cupcakes
Making bourbon cupcakes is easy! Here's what you're going to do:
- First, preheat your oven and line two cupcake pans with liners.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Then, mix the wet ingredients then add the dry ingredients and mix them together to form the batter.
- Now, pour the batter into the cupcake liners and bake them for 15-18 minutes. That's it!
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Tips to make the best cupcakes
- Make sure to start with room temperature eggs and butter.
- Buttermilk makes the cupcakes light and fluffy. If you don't have any on hand, use whole milk mixed with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Make sure that the cupcakes are completely cool before you frost them. Warm cupcakes will melt the frosting.
Equipment for this recipe
For this bourbon cupcakes recipe, we use the following equipment:
- Switch the alcohol. Instead of making bourbon cupcakes, swap the alcohol for either whiskey or dark rum. Both make excellent cupcakes!
- Add bacon. Bourbon and bacon taste great together. Cook some bacon nice and crispy then crumble it and sprinkle it on the frosting. Or get crazy and add candied bacon!
- Make vanilla-bourbon cupcakes. Instead of using all bourbon, use 2 tablespoons of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of bourbon.
FAQs for Boozy Cupcakes
Can I make bourbon cupcakes ahead of time
Yes! These cupcakes will keep for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container. After that time, they will start to get a little dry.
How to store bourbon cupcakes
The best way to store cupcakes is unfrosted in a plastic bag at room temperature. They will last the longest this way. If you need to store the cupcakes frosted, try using a cupcake carrier.
Do bourbon cupcakes freeze well?
Yes! Wrap them well and store them in your freezer for up to a month. Just wait until you're ready to serve them to add the frosting.
Does alcohol make the frosting separate?
It can. We add only a little so that the frosting doesn't separate.
What kind of whiskey or bourbon should I use in my bourbon cupcakes?
We usually go for a less-expensive bottle if we're cooking with bourbon. Something like Jim Beam works great. If you're going for whiskey, make sure to avoid peated whiskey as the flavor is too strong for these cupcakes.
Popular bourbon dessert recipes
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup coconut oil (warmed to melt)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 8 ounce cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons bourbon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut (optional, to decorate)
- Arrange oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of your oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners (24 in total).
- Whisk the flour, coconut, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, 2 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Add the sugar, butter, and coconut oil to a large bowl and cream with electric beaters until smooth, about 3–4 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy, 2–3 minutes. Beat in the buttermilk and bourbon. Add the dry ingredients and beat just until it is mixed.2 cups sugar, 1 cup unsalted butter, ½ cup coconut oil, 4 large eggs, 1 cup buttermilk, ¼ cup bourbon
- Divide the batter equally between the 24 cupcake liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of cupcakes comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer the pans to wire racks; let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and let them cool completely on the wire racks.
- Using an electric mixer beat cream cheese and butter on high speed, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl, until smooth and creamy, about 2–3 minutes. Add the bourbon and salt and beat for 1 minute longer. Add sugar and beat at low speed until combined. Add more bourbon to thin the frosting or more powdered sugar if you want it thicker.8 ounce cream cheese, 1 cup unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons bourbon, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 4 cups powdered sugar
- Either use a knife to spread the frosting on top of the completely cooled cupcakes or use a pastry bag to pipe on the frosting. Sprinkle a little extra coconut on top of the cupcakes.½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.