In 9 days and 6 hours I will be buckled in and speeding down the tarmac. Destination: Cuba! Can you tell I’m excited? I’ll be meeting my mother, sister and nearly three year old nephew for the last week and a half of their month long backpacking trip. I expect to find them bronzed and relaxed with a mojito in each hand.
Hopefully they’ll have a mojito waiting for me by the time I get to the hostel. Certainly by the time you are reading this, I will be sitting on a beach or a rooftop terrance with a cold glass of minty mojito in hand.
I spent the afternoon snacking on these coconut raspberry mojito jello shooters. Is snacking the right verb to use when there’s alcohol involved?
The sweet and tart raspberry and the coconut rum make me feel like I’m already under a palm tree. The little mint leaf adds a touch of freshness and the shredded coconut makes them feel like a snack. If jello shooters could be sophisticated, this is how they’d do it.
- ¾ cup Malibu or other coconut flavoured rum
- ¾ cup of fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, pureed and strained though a fine sieve
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 envelopes Knox gelatin
- Mint leaves, shredded coconut and raspberries, to garnish
- Combine rum with raspberry puree. Add sugar and stir will dissolved.
- Over very low heat warm water and add gelatin. Stir till completely dissolved, about 5 minutes
- Stir gelatin into rum mixture. Pour mixture into a loaf or pie pan. Allow to set in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Cut into squares or circles and garnish with shredded coconut and either a mint leaf or half a raspberry
Feel like more yummy cocktails? Check out:
The idea was inspired by Jelly Shot Test Kitchen’s Cucumber Lime Margarita Shots