Take your BBQ game up a notch with these delicious Tropical Lime Hot Dogs!
Piled high with a crunchy slaw and topped with mango, avocado, and a sweet and spicy mayo, these hot dogs with a twist are a delicious dinner recipe. They're easily made gluten-free + vegan, and if you skip the bun they're paleo, too!
It's hot dog grilling season!!
We're pulling out all the stops here with these Tropical Lime Hot Dogs. Bring them to me, baby. Like, a whole plate, please and thank you.
Here's what's going on:
- Criss-cross cut smokies grilled to delicious perfection. 👈 Cutting the dogs before you pop them on the BBQ gives them these crispy edges which are nothing short of insane.
- Tropical Lime Salad that's tossed in a creamy coconut lime chili dressing. 👈 Best part? It's made for you. Fist bump.
- Creamy avocado, sweet mango, spicy jalapeño. 👈 The trifecta of everything delicious.
- Sweet and spicy mayo. 👈 See above. Same deal here.
Remember last year when I shared that recipe for Crispy Sesame Chicken Asian Salad Bowl? That was another Eat Smart Salad Kits recipe. Honestly, before I worked with these guys I kind of laughed at the whole salad kit idea. I mean, how hard is it to make a salad? Ha!
Now I laugh at myself every time I buy one.
There's at least one time each week when I'm shopping for blog related groceries and know I need to make dinner but I so. don't. want. to. at. freaking. all. Those are the days when I ask the butcher for a couple of chicken thighs, grab a salad kit, and call it dinner.
It's the convenience that gets me, but I also love that they let me and my family eat healthy. These guys have no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives and there are no strange “how the heck do I pronounce that” ingredients in here. All you'll find are things like kale, cabbage, dried fruit, seeds, and (in some of them) cheese.
Eat Smart is the first brand within its category to commit to clean ingredients. If you check the labels, their Sweet Kale, Strawberry Harvest, and Sunflower Kale have a “No Artificial: Colors, Flavors, or Preservatives” label. The rest of their salads will have this by the end of 2018. Awesome!
The Eat Smart Salad Shake Ups are new and an awesome way to pack a healthy lunch. We're going for a Father's Day hike this weekend, and one of these kits will be coming with us for the picnic. Move over trail mix!
If you'd like, you can sign up to the Eat Smart newsletter by going to their website and filling in your details in the “Receive Exclusive Offer” on bottom right of the website homepage. 🙌
You might have noticed that I put this recipe into the vegan + paleo + gluten-free categories. Here's the deal:
Do you see those delish smokies up there? Ya, those. They're cheese stuffed pork smokies. So not vegan. BUT … they totally could be vegan if you opted for a tofu dog. The Eat Smart Salad Shake Ups Kit (phew, what a mouthful!) that I used is 100% vegan. I chose the Tropical Lime salad just for you, my vegan friends.
What about my paleo pals? You're going to have to skip the bun and keep the crunchy dried noodles out of the salad. Honestly, I think we should all join you in skipping the bun. After I took these pics, I took everything out of the bun and ate it like a salad with a smokie on top. I had planned to snap a pic but then dug in like a crazy starving person and didn't remember till I was halfway through.
If you make these Tropical Lime Hot Dogs make sure to snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 6 smokies (vegan or gluten-free, if needed)
- 6 hot dog buns (gluten-free if needed. Omit for paleo)
- 2 Eat Smart Tropical Lime Salad Shake Ups
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise (vegan or paleo, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Juice from ½ lime
- Preheat your grill to medium-high. Criss cross slice the tops of the smokies. Grill the smokies until cooked through and crispy where you sliced them. Optional: grill the buns for a few minutes.
- While the smokies are grilling, prepare the rest of the meal. In a small bowl, stir the Sweet and Spicy Mayo ingredients together.
- Open the Salad Shake Ups and pour in the dressing - set the noodles and seeds aside. Shake the salad to mix.
- Divide the salad between the hot dog buns, top with a smokie, some mango, avocado, jalapeño, and some mayo. Sprinkle the reserved seeds and crunchy noodles from the salad kits over the tops of the hot dogs.
Gluten-free option: use GF smokies and buns and omit the crunchy noodles in the salad kit.
Paleo option: use paleo smokies and omit the bun and the crunchy noodles.
This post was sponsored by Eat Smart as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
More summer approved hamburger and hot dog recipes: