Brussels sprouts recipes have made a serious comeback in the past few years and, for anyone who has eaten them properly prepared, it is easy to understand why. They take well to lots of different flavours and turn almost nutty tasting when well roasted. You can eat them every meal of the day, from breakfast to dessert. Seriously, even dessert.
In this guide you'll find everything you need to know about Brussels sprouts, from how to buy and store them, why you should eat them, tons of delicious Brussels sprouts recipes and even a few fun facts.
Brussels Sprouts Recipe Index
Baked, Broiled and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Fried Brussels Sprouts Recipes Appetizer Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Sautéed and Seared Brussels Sprouts Recipes Dessert Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Steamed and Boiled Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Salad and Slaw Brussels Sprouts Recipes
For more Brussels sprouts inspiration follow my Brussels Sprouts Pinterest Board.
How To Buy and Store Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts can be purchased on the stalk or loose. When choosing the perfect Brussels look for ones that are firm, heavy for their size, bright green and have tightly wrapped leaves. The smaller ones tend to be the sweetest.
Before you buy them have a look at their stems; they should look freshly cut. If the stems look old, they won't last as long when you bring them home.
Store them in your fridge in a slightly opened plastic bag for up to 4-5 days. If you've left them a little too long and some of the leaves are turning yellow you can still use them, just make sure to peel off the yellowing leaves before you cook them.
Brussels sprouts are grown in temperate climates and harvested between September and March. If you are growing Brussels at home delay harvest until after a frost as they will become extra sweet.
Brussels sprouts other family members include: broccoli, kale, cabbage, kohlrabi, collard greens and cauliflower.
Brussels sprouts are high in protein (for a green) and contain a full day's worth of vitamin A and K in just one serving. They're also high in dietary fiber, antioxidants and contain 20 vitamins and minerals. They are also being studied for cancer prevention.
- Brussels Sprouts Hash with Soft Poached Eggs and Aleppo Chili Pepper :: by Feasting at Home
- Mushroom and Brussels Sprouts Hash :: by Joy The Baker
- Brussels Sprouts and Chorizo Beer Hash :: by Food 52
- Brussels Sprouts and Eggs Skillet :: by Naturally Ella
- Brussels Sprouts Hash with Sweet Potatoes and Bacon :: by Closet Cooking
- Brussels Sprouts Bacon Breakfast Hash with Eggs :: by Food For My Family
- Beef and Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Bowl :: by Leaf Parade
- Crispy Kale, Brussels Sprouts and Potato Hash :: by Serious Eats
- Breakfast Pasta with Bacon, Brussels Sprouts and Fried Egg :: by Baker Bettie
- Bubble and Squeak Cakes with Poached Eggs and Brussels Sprouts Recipes :: Tesco
- Brussels Sprouts Smoothie :: by Lucille Roberts
- Bacon Brussels Sprouts Skewers :: by Pop Sugar
- Buffalo Brussels Sprouts Recipe :: by Journal Sentinel
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Aioli :: by Costa Kitchen
- Turkey Bacon Wrapped Brussel Sprouts Recipe :: by My Clean Kitchen
- Creamy Brussels and Shallot Dip :: by Minimalist Baker
- Roasted Garlic Beet Hummus with Brussels Sprouts Chips :: by Running to the Kitchen
- Brussels Sprouts Latkes :: by What Jew Wanna Eat
- Brussels Sprouts Crostini :: by Stetted
- Vegan Brussels Carrot Curry Cupcakes :: by Food Network
- Brussels Sprouts Cake :: by The Caked Crusader
- A Christmas Treat Sprout Cake :: by Kent Online
- Carrot Cake with Brussels Sprouts Recipes :: by Live Your Sport
- Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe :: by The Endless Meal
- Honey Sriracha Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe :: by Shared Appetite
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts :: by Whole Foods Market
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe :: Simply Recipes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon :: Nom Nom Paleo
- Roasted Brussels with Lemon Zest, Capers and Parmesan :: by Leslie Stowe's Rainforest Blog
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Caramelized Shallots :: by Williams-Sonoma
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic :: by NYT Cooking
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Chili Sauce :: by Steamy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Avocado :: by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts :: by Canadian Living
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples :: by Oh My Veggies
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Orange :: by Alaska from Scratch
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Harissa :: by Becky Loves Cooking
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mint, Cilantro and Vietnamese Style Dressing :: by Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette :: by Food52
- Asian Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Fried Shiitake Mushrooms :: by Blogging over Thyme
- Pear and Blue Cheese Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipes :: by The Cookie Rookie
- Coconut Oil Fried Brussels Sprouts with Garlic, Chilies and Lime :: by The Endless Meal
- Fried Brussels Sprouts with Shallots, Honey and Balsamic Vinegar :: by Serious Eats
- Fried Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Capers :: by Micheal Symon of The Food Network
- Flash Fried Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Lime :: by Food & Style
- Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts with Mom's Chili Fish Sauce :: by White on Rice Couple
- Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts with Honey and Sriracha :: by Food 52
- Fried Brussels Sprouts with Curried Sriracha Aioli :: by Oui Chef Network
- Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds and Balsamic :: by The Endless Meal
- Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Pecans :: by Rachel Shultz
- Seared Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Lardons :: by Serious Eats
- Brown Butter Seared Brussels with Cauliflower Cream :: by Fine Cooking
- Sautéed Brussels with Olive Oil and Lemon Peel :: by Williams-Sonoma
- Pan Seared Brussels and Apples :: by Sarah's Cucina Bella
- Pan Seared Brussels with Lemon and Pancetta :: by Dawn Viola
- Miso Seared Brussels with Smoked Tofu :: by Snapguide
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan and Pine Nuts :: by Health.com
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Pistachios :: by Bon Appétit
- Seared and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Red Pepper and Mint Gremolata :: by NYT Cooking
- Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Mint :: by David Chang
- Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds :: by Simply Recipes
- Steamed Brussels Sprouts :: by Martha Stewart
- Lemon Butter Brussels Sprouts Recipe :: by Canadian Living
- Steamed Brussels with Butter and Chives :: by Melissa Rubel Jacobson
- 5-Minute Brussels Sprouts :: by World's Healthiest Foods
- Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Cauliflower and Walnuts :: by Cooking Light
- Steamed Brussels Sprouts and Carrots with Tarragon :: by Whole Foods
- Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Almonds and Gingery Soy Dressing :: by Paleo Plan
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon, Apricots and Walnuts :: by The Endless Meal
- Brussels Sprouts Soba Salad with Fish Sauce and Mint :: by Rosemarried
- Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon and Hazelnut Vinaigrette :: by Serious Eats
- Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad :: by Two Peas and Their Pod
- Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad with Black Walnuts :: by Williams-Sonoma
- Caramelized Brussels Sprouts Salad with Blue Cheese, Bacon and Caramel Apple Vinaigrette :: by Half Baked Harvest
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Sriracha Maple Vinaigrette :: by Randy Clemens
- Sweet Hot Mustard Brussels Sprout and Apple Almond Salad :: by Inspiralized
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemons and Mint :: by Jenessa's Dinners
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Grapes, Apples, Walnuts and Parmesan :: by The Simple Kitchen
- Raw and Fried Tuscan Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad :: by Joseph Ogrodnek and Walker Stern
- Thai Brussels Sprouts Salad :: by Kay Chun
Whether you like or loathe Brussels sprouts depends on if you have the gene TAS2R38. If you have this gene and eat something with phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), or a brassica, which contains a similar chemical, you will experience a taste of bitterness.
Brussels sprouts were used in paternal testing in the 1930s and 40s. Sort of. What actually happened is scientists would use PTC to determine if there was a genetic link between father and child.
The Guinness World Record for the person who ate the most Brussels sprouts in one minute belongs to Linea Urbanec of Sweden, who scarfed down 31 in 2008.