Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
Homemade breakfast sausage patties are easy to make, perfectly seasoned, and are way better than anything store-bought. Bonus that they are made without any special equipment and they freeze beautifully for quick weekday breakfasts.
How to make homemade breakfast sausage patties
These sausages are very easy to make. Simply mix the ingredients together then form them into patties. So simple!
If you have a sausage maker (like a sausage attachment for your Kitchen Aid) you can use this recipe to fill the casings to make real sausages.
But forming them into patties gives you all the sausage flavor without all the fuss!
Are sausages or patties better?
This is really a personal choice. Patties are much easier to make and don't require any special equipment, which is why we like them best.
How to freeze pork breakfast sausage
These pork sausages freeze very well!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper – don't skip this step or the sausages will freeze to the pan and be VERY hard to remove.
- Lay the uncooked sausages on the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Place the baking sheet into your freezer for 3-4 hours, or until the sausages are frozen.
- Once they're frozen you can place them all in a resealable bag (we love reusable Stasher Bags!).
You can cook the sausages from frozen adding a couple of minutes to the cooking time.
What goes into a homemade breakfast sausage seasoning recipe
We like to add a little maple syrup to our recipe for a hint of sweetness. Then we add some of our favorite flavorful spices so that they are perfectly seasoned.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili Flakes
More ways to serve breakfast sausage patties
We love these sausages with some sunny side up eggs, hash browns, and a cucumber tomato salad. But this is a versatile recipe, and the patties can be used in many different ways. Try them:
- On mini buns as delicious pork sliders.
- Served on a platter as an appetizer with some German mustard for dipping.
- As fun meatball patties.
- On an English muffin and topped with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce – pork sausage eggs benedict!
Popular breakfast recipes
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 lbs lean ground pork
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl. Be careful not to overmix the meat or it will toughen.2 lbs lean ground pork, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 tablespoons onion powder, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons pepper, ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Use a medium-sized cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons) to form 20 balls. Press them into round patties about 2 ½ inches wide. (see notes)
- Heat a nonstick or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add as many sausage patties as will fit in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 4 minutes per side, lowering the heat if they become too brown. Repeat with the remaining sausage patties.
To freeze breakfast sausages
- Mix the meat and form it into patties. Lay the patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into your freezer. When the patties are completely frozen, remove them from the sheet and store them in a freezer-safe bag. We love reusable stasher freezer bags!