Healthy Southwestern Pizza
Heellllooo pizza! And this is not just any pizza I'm saying heelllooo to, this pizza is a little extra special. You see, there's this sweet and spicy sauce that is smothered all over it, then it's topped with southwest flavours like roasted corn and black beans, then it's drizzled with a little sour cream-y sauce. And the crust, don't even get me started about the crust!
This crust has been my go-to pizza crust recipe for ages now. Truth: I don't have any other crust recipe. If you've found your absolute favourite it seems a little silly to try others, right? It's like eating at your favourite restaurant and ordering the same thing every. single. time cause it's just so good you can't bare the thought of trying anything else. (You do that too, right?)
On top of the most beautifully chewy crust with perfect bubbles and the odd deliciously charred spot is a sweet and spicy sauce that is almost too much for me to handle. You might want to double the recipe and serve the extra on the side to dip your crust in. Just sayin'. 🙂
Then there's the (sweet, delicious, should be eaten every day it's in season) roasted corn, the crunchy red peppers and the slightly tangy sour cream sauce drizzled over top. You guys, this pizza rocks my world.
It's also … wait for it … healthy! I guess the title already gave that away. There's no meat on this pizza pie (although I think it would be great with a little crispy bacon) and no cheese (which I promise you you won't miss). If your belly or your conscience won't let you have sour cream you can always sub vegan sour cream or just leave it off entirely.
If you're intimidated by making your own pizza dough … you don't need to be! You can check out my post Pizza Dough Recipe for more information about how to make the perfect pizza crust. It does take some time for the pizza dough to rise so you'll need to think ahead with this one. If you've got a crust you love feel free to substitute it!
If you make this Healthy Southwestern Pizza, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
Healthy Southwestern Pizza
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Sweet and Spicy Pizza Sauce
- ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ – 1 teaspoon sriracha, to taste
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 12-inch pizza crusts
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ⅓ cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup diced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Thinly sliced red onion and chopped cilantro, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the pizza sauce ingredients to a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring the pot to a boil and let it boil hard for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until it has thickened.½ cup canned crushed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon honey, ½ – 1 teaspoon sriracha, ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Put the pizza doughs on a baking sheet (use 2, if needed) then divide the pizza sauce between the 2 pizza doughs and top with the corn, black beans, and red pepper.2 12-inch pizza crusts, ½ cup frozen corn, ⅓ cup cooked black beans, ¼ cup diced red pepper
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- Serve the pizzas topped with sour cream, red onion, and cilantro.2 tablespoons sour cream, Thinly sliced red onion and chopped cilantro