Healthy Southwest Pizza
This southwest pizza with corn and black beans is an easy weeknight pizza that everyone loves. With a sweet and spicy homemade sauce, it's baked in a hot oven until the crust is golden, then drizzled with sour cream. It's simple to make, and will have dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
This southwest pizza is delicious with our homemade pizza dough recipe and a sweet and spicy pizza sauce.
This recipe was originally published in 2014. We've updated the post with some new photos and more information, but the delicious recipe remains the same.
Craving pizza? Us too! Here's a quick and delicious vegetarian pizza recipe with a sweet and spicy southwest spin. It's loaded with roasted corn, black beans, onions, melty cheese, and lots of Tex-Mex taste.
We use a delicious homemade sauce and our simple pizza dough recipe for a crust that's chewy and crispy. If you're intimidated by making your own pizza dough, you don't need to be! The recipe walks you through the steps. It does take some time for the pizza dough to rise so you'll need to think ahead with this one. If you've got a crust you love, feel free to substitute it!
With only wholesome ingredients, this is a healthier pizza that's savory and a touch spicy. It's perfect for serving as a comforting appetizer or light dinner with your favorite side.
Why you'll love it
- It's loaded with southwest flavor
- Made with fresh ingredients and healthier than take-out
- You'll find that it's easy and quick to make
- It's pizza – the ultimate comfort food!
Here's what you'll need
We make a simple four-ingredient sweet and spicy sauce for this pizza recipe. Here's what you'll need to make it:
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
Here's everything you'll need for the southwest pizza:
- Pizza crusts
- Frozen corn
- Black beans
- Red onion
- Sour cream
How to make southwest pizza
Here's how to make this southwest pizza in a few simple steps:
- Start by making the pizza sauce. Add all the pizza sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Then, transfer the sauce to a pan and simmer it until it has thickened.
- While your oven preheats, make your pizza crusts. Place pizza dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets and shape to form two crusts.
- Divide the pizza sauce between the two crusts, and spread it to the edges. Then, top the pizzas with corn, black beans, red onions, and mozzarella cheese.
- Once your pizzas are loaded up to your liking, bake them until the crust is golden. Right before serving them, top them with some minced cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Southwest pizza: FAQS
Yes, you can. However, the fire-roasted tomatoes add a touch of sweetness and smoky flavor to the sauce.
Of course! Diced green or red peppers go really well on this pizza. Mushrooms are a nice addition, too!
Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Definitely! The sauce will keep for up to 5 days in a sealed jar or container in the fridge.
You bet! Swap out the mozzarella and sour cream for dairy-free alternatives, or omit them completely.
Southwest pizza serving ideas
This southwest pizza is perfectly filling on its own, and enjoyable any time of year.
Serve it to a crowd with a batch of these tex-mex meatballs for more southwest flavor!
Favorite pizza recipes
- Green Goddess Pizza
- Summertime Easy Caprese Pizza
- BBQ Pulled Turkey Pizza with Fiery Pineapple Salsa
- Gochujang Pulled Pork Korean Pizza
- Blue Cheese and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Pizza
Healthy Southwest Pizza
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Sweet and Spicy Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons sriracha, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 12-inch pizza crusts
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- Sour cream and chopped cilantro, to serve
- Add the pizza sauce ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour the sauce into a small pot over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat, place the lid halfway on (to prevent splatters), and simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until it has thickened.1 cup fire roasted tomatoes, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 ½ teaspoons sriracha, ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Form the pizza dough into two crusts and place them on parchment paper-lined baking sheets2 12-inch pizza crusts
- Divide the pizza sauce between the 2 pizza doughs, spreading it almost to the edges.
- Top the pizzas with corn, black beans, red onion, and mozzarella cheese.½ cup frozen corn, ½ cup cooked black beans, ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion, 1 cup grated mozzarella
- Bake the pizzas for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Serve with some minced cilantro and sour cream on the side.Sour cream and chopped cilantro