Butternut Squash Pizza
I wish I had a piece (or 15 pieces) of this butternut squash pizza in front of me right now. I'm starving, and all I really want to eat is pizza. This pizza. I made it for a dinner party the other night, then made it again the next afternoon. If I had thought ahead and had some pizza dough on hand, I'd be making it again tonight.
Sweet roasted butternut squash and fragrant rosemary sit on top of a bed of roasted garlic white sauce that is covered with caramelized onions. The whole thing is sprinkled (liberally) with whole cloves of roasted garlic and chunks of goat cheese. It's sweet in the way that savory things roasted and caramelized for a long time tend to be.
Make sure you share a piece or two with whoever you are kissing tonight; this baby's full of sweet, delicious roasted garlic 🙂
Popular Pizza Recipes
- Green Goddess Pizza
- Breakfast Pizza with Eggs
- Gochujang Pulled Pork Korean Pizza
- Spicy Chorizo Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese and Arugula
- Blue Cheese and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Pizza
Want the best pizza dough recipe ever? Here it is 🙂
Butternut Squash Pizza Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heads garlic
- ¼ cup baby spinach
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 pizza doughs
Maple Caramelized Onions
- 1 teaspoon EACH: butter and olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
Roasted Garlic Pizza Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Roast Squash and Garlic. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the butternut squash cubes in olive oil and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Slice about ½ inch off the top of each head of garlic so that all cloves are showing slightly. Drizzle a little olive oil over each head and arrange, cut-side down, on the baking sheet with the squash.Check the squash after 20 minutes, if it is soft, remove it from the oven and set it aside in a bowl. Continue to cook the garlic until it is soft and fragrant, about 10 minutes more minutes.1 small butternut squash, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 heads garlic
- Mash Garlic. Remove the garlic from the oven and, once it is cool enough to handle, gently squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin. Mash 10 of the roasted garlic cloves with a fork in a small bowl. Leave the rest whole.
- Caramelize the Onion. While the squash is roasting, make the other parts of the pizza. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir in the maple syrup, and continue to cook until the onions are light golden brown.1 teaspoon EACH: butter and olive oil, 1 large onion, 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Make the Sauce. Melt the butter in a frying pan or small pot over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk till combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Slowly add the milk and whisk till combined. Bring it to a boil and whisk until it has thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mashed roasted garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 cup milk, Salt and pepper
- Assemble the Pizza. Form both pizza doughs and spread the white pizza sauce on top. Add the caramelized onions, roasted butternut squash, roasted garlic, baby spinach, goat cheese, and rosemary.¼ cup baby spinach, 4 ounces goat cheese, 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, 2 pizza doughs
- Bake the Pizza. One at a time, bake the pizzas for 12-15 minutes until the top is bubbling and the crust is golden.
For more inspiration, check out all of our pizza recipes!
Delicious recipe. I used kabocha squash and chili oil for my pizzas which worked really well! Also, I used Stonefire flatbread thin crust pizza for my dough, super tasty!
I’ll have to look for that dough!
I stumbled across this recipe about three years ago and have been making it at least once a month ever since, so I figured I owed you a comment. It’s so good! I’m actually eating it right now and it it possible my favorite food in the whole world. Thank you so much!
That is such a big compliment! And thank you so much for coming back to comment!!
Omg, this pizza looks superb. I’ve been meaning to wander a bit and do something different than just my regular broccoli and eggplant pizza. I’ll give this a go!
I hope you love it as much as I do!
Hm This pizza looks so tasty! I can not wait to make one.
This pizza is so good! I hope you love it, too!!
Amazing! I made this for dinner last night and it’s so good! I left out the carmalized onions (not an onion fan) and its so full of flavor even without them. I will definitely make this again!
I just finished eating this delicious pizza which my wife made and I must say
it’s heavenly!!! In fact, it’s now on our list of favorite foods. :0) Thanks for an
I made this last night with some spent grain pizza dough after a long day brewing beer. Amazing! Thanks for the great recipe.
You’re so welcome, Jim!
Just discovered your food blog and this post recently while looking for a “butternut squash pizza” recipe. After browsing a few of the results, this one looked the best. Since my husband is a big fan of pepperoni pizza and doesn’t fully appreciate my fancy non-traditional pizza endeavors, I invited a friend over Friday night for dinner to try this out on. This pizza was fun to make, made the whole house smell wonderful, and was SOOOO GOOD! My husband even stole a few pieces and agreed it was one of the best pizzas I’ve made (and I worked in a pizza shop for 4 years, so I make a lot of pizzas).
Thanks for the original and delicious recipe! I look forward to making it again and trying out some of the other recipes on your blog : )
I have just made my shopping list & i cant wait to get this on the table in a few hours! It is just mouthwatering!! Will let you know how we liked it!!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of it. It is one of my favourites!
Hiya Kristen, a bit late yes…. in the meantime we have made this pizza several times, it is just gorgeous!! A true Pizza Bianca and the butternut witht he goats cheese is to die for! Thank you for this wonderful recipe! Salute! Ka
Pizza may be my greatest weakness, and I love any excuse to eat goats cheese and caramelised onions. I have to try this!
I hope you do! It really was my favourite pizza yet 🙂
Makes it into my Top 5 favorite pizzas – this one will definitely be added into the rotation.
A wonderful balance of flavors!
I’m so happy to hear that you loved it. It is definitely one of my favourites!
Yuuummmmmmy – this looks like one amazing pizza. I’d probably eat it as leftovers for a week!
Oooh, you’ve got some great judgement! I love butternut squash, goat cheese and rosemary so this is the perfect pizza for me! Homemade pizza is so much fun and yes, an endless pizza would be wonderful!
I have just eaten lunch but now my mouth is watering after reading this recipe. I do a grilled pizza that my nephew refers to as his last meal, should he ever be on death row: http://www.hometownslop.blogspot.com/2012/02/grilled-pizzas-dish-that-i-am-loved-for.html
Thanks for sharing,
You’re welcome, Jeff. I’ve heard about grilling pizza before but I’ve never tried it before myself. Will check yours out for sure 🙂
I will definitely be making this soon! Pictures are gorgeous! 🙂
Oh momma, that looks good! It’s like 9am here, but I’d eat that for breakfast if I had it in my fridge! 🙂
Lol I love pizza for breakfast!