Creamy Garlic Mushrooms and Bacon
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms with Bacon is an easy to make, delicious, and surprisingly healthy side dish recipe. Rather than using cream, we use cashew butter mixed with a little water to make a healthy cream sauce that mimics the real thing so well that you'll never know the difference. This is a sautéed mushroom recipe that everyone raves about!
Why we can't get enough of these creamy mushrooms
- Like garlic butter mushrooms only even better cause they're swimming in a cream sauce.
- A cream sauce that tastes like it's loaded with whipping cream.
- But it's full of healthy cashew butter instead.
- Bacon. No need to elaborate there, my friends. We love bacon.
- As good sitting beside a juicy steak as they are poured over pasta.
- Silly easy to make.
- And leftovers reheat great.
Let's make some creamy garlic mushrooms
Step 1: Cook the bacon until it's nice and crispy. Now try not to eat it all while you finish the recipe.
Step 2: Add a little garlic to the pan then pop the mushrooms in and pour a little stock over the top.
Step 3: Mix some cashew butter with a little water then pour it into the pan. It will thicken quickly into the most delicious healthy cream sauce. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, and thyme then ….
Step 4: Eat!
What to serve with creamy garlic mushrooms
These mushrooms served with a meaty main and a big green salad make the perfect dinner. Our favorites are:
But mushrooms and pasta are natural friends. Try slicing the mushrooms (rather than keeping them whole) then pour them and the creamy sauce over some noodles.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More mushroom recipes
- Garlic Bacon Mushrooms
- Grilled Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Magic Mushroom Sauce
- Chorizo Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- Mushroom Gravy
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 strips bacon, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lb mushrooms
- ½ cup stock
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, see notes
- Minced parsley, to serve
- Add the bacon to a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the bacon is crispy then remove it from the pan. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon oil. (Or add oil, butter, or ghee if it is less than 1 tablespoon.)4 strips bacon
- Add the garlic to the pan and let it cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and stock to the pan and scrape off any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium and let the mushrooms cook for 10 minutes.4 cloves garlic, 1 ½ lb mushrooms, ½ cup stock
- While the mushrooms are cooking, mix the cashew butter with the water. Once the mushrooms have cooked for 10 minutes, pour the cashew cream into the pan and bring it to a boil. Once it thickens (1-2 minutes), add the thyme and season it to taste with salt and pepper. If you'd like a thinner cream sauce, add water or stock until it is the consistency that you like. It will continue to thicken as it cooks.3 tablespoons cashew butter, 1 ½ cups water, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Add the bacon back into the pan and sprinkle the nutritional yeast (if using) and the parsely over the mushrooms.Optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast