Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
These Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats are every bit as delicious as regular lasagna but so much healthier and easier to make. I love it when veggies are disguised as a cozy pasta-filled casserole. It's so good that you won't miss the carbs!
I'm just going to come right out and say it, “These cheesy spaghetti squash lasagna bowls are frickin' awesome!” Like, the best. For real.
They're like the most delicious cheesy pasta/ casserole-y thing ever only they're all vegetables. Or mostly all vegetables. I've layered some meat and cheese in here, too. I'm guessing you noticed that in the picture.
I get all crazy excited about dinners like this. You know, the type of dinners that are healthy for you but taste like they totally aren't. They're the best.
For these spaghetti squash lasagna boats, I've made a very simple bolognese sauce that you cook while the squash is roasting. Once the squash is tender all you have to do is scrape the spaghetti from the squash, layer it with a little cheese and the bolognese then pop the boats back in the oven to melt the cheese.
I always judge how good a recipe is based on my handsome man's reaction. When something's really good, he gets this look on his face where his eyes go wide, and he nods his head. This recipe got that look.
I was also told that it was, and I quote, ” Worth doing dishes for.” That might not sound like much, but coming from a guy who thinks doing the dishes is the worst, most horrible chore ever, I took it as a serious compliment.
More Delicious Spaghetti Squash Recipes:
- Eggs in Purgatory with Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Vegan Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara with Butternut and Broccoli Spears
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Brown Butter, Sage, and Walnuts
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 1 ⅓ cup grated pizza mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut each spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds and loose membranes. (Save the seeds to roast!) Coat the inside of the squash with one teaspoon of oil then place them, cut side down, on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the squash is just tender. Remove the squash from the oven and use a fork to scoop out half of the spaghetti.2 medium spaghetti squash
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the sauce. Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and let it cook for 1 more minute. Raise the heat to high and add the ground beef to the pan. Cook it, stirring occasionally, until it is well browned, about 10 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, honey and chopped sage to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Season generously with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 lb ground beef, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- Scoop some sauce into the bottom of each spaghetti squash. Top with the reserved spaghetti, more sauce and then finish with the feta and mozzarella cheese.⅓ cup feta cheese, 1 ⅓ cup grated pizza mozzarella
- Turn your oven to broil and place the squash back in the oven. Broil the squash for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begins to brown.
- Remove the squash from the oven and serve immediately.