BEST Bloody Caesar Drink (best Bloody Mary!)
A Bloody Caesar is a classic Canadian cocktail. It is similar to a Bloody Mary but has a lot more depth of flavor. We make our own homemade Clamato juice (it's easy!) for the best flavor. Want to know how to make the best Caesar drink? We'll show you how!
We're BIG fans of Bloody Caesars here. While they're an absolute must after a night of celebrating, no brunch is complete without one. They're Canada's version of a Bloody Mary, and anyone who's tried one agrees they're better. And if you order one at a restaurant, simply ask for a Caesar. We like this drink so much that we've shortened its name.
But most Caesars, as good as they are, are made with Clamato juice. And if you ever read the ingredients list, it will probably make you cringe. While we look the other way when we're eating out, making homemade Clamato juice is super easy and only involves 2 ingredients.
To truly take brunch to the next level, also learn how to make mimosas!
What makes this bloody Caesar recipe the best
- Homemade Clamato juice, which is only 1 ingredient more than using store-bought Clamato but about 1 million times tastier.
- Pickle juice. The brine your dill pickles is swimming in is like magic Caesar juice.
- Horseradish. No Caesar should be without it.
- Your choice of booze. Vodka is traditional, but we love a Tequila Caesar. Mezcal, gin, and bourbon are also tasty.
- It's as easy to prepare a pitcher for a group as it is to make a single glass for yourself.
- Sugar-free and made with vegetable juice. We're calling it, this Caesar recipe is healthy. It's as healthy as a cocktail will ever be.
Bloody Caesar Ingredients
Typically, a Bloody Caesar is made with Clamato juice (homemade or store-bought), Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, a squeeze of lime juice, and vodka. It's always served in a glass with a salted rim.
But we often add a few extras to make our Caesars even more delicious:
- Horseradish (freshly grated or from a jar)
- Fresh dill
- Lots of black pepper
- Pickle juice (from a jar of pickles)
You can also try making it with homemade V8 juice for a twist on the classic!
Why a Bloody Caesar is the best Bloody Mary recipe
A Bloody Mary and a Bloody Caesar are virtually the same things, with one very important difference … Clamato juice. Clamato is tomato juice mixed with clam juice (and I know that sounds SUPER WEIRD) and it's really the best thing ever. Think about how adding stinky fish sauce to your curry makes it tastes better. It's the same idea.
Don't believe us? Both Vice Magazine and The Thrillist have written long arguments about why a Bloody Caesar is WAY BETTER than a Bloody Mary. Still not sure? Try one. You'll never go back.
Make it a muddy caesar/dirty caesar
When I'm at a restaurant, I always order a spicy dirty Caesar. This means it comes with extra hot sauce (spicy) and extra Worcestershire sauce (dirty). The great thing about a Bloody Caesar is that they're super easy to customize to your taste. Simply add any ‘extras' to your glass then pour the Calamato over the top.
How to make a Caesar drink
You have two options here. You can either make several single drinks or make a whole pitcher.
- Single drinks: Put everything but the Clamato into tall, rimmed glasses then pour the Clamato over the top. This is the best option if you want to customize spiciness/alcohol/etc.
- Make a big pitcher: Stir everything together in a large pitcher then pour it into salt-rimmed glasses. This is the best option if you have a big group of friends over.
What alcohol goes in a Bloody Caesar?
You have choices, my friends!
- Vodka: traditional
- Tequila: my personal favorite
- Mezcal: deliciously smoky
- Gin: delicious
- Bourbon: bold and best with a bacon garnish
- Beer: better known as a Michelada
Or skip the alcohol and make a virgin Caesar.
Best Ceasar garnishes
The one thing you need to know about Caesar garnishes is that there are no rights or wrongs here. Anything goes.
Traditionally, Caesars were garnished with a celery stick, but that's largely gone now. In restaurants, most Caesars come garnished with pickled beans or pickled asparagus, a pepperoni stick or bacon, olives, and usually a lime wedge. It's like a mini meal with your drink.
But Caesar garnishes can get wild and crazy. Some of the best I've seen are:
- Bacon wrapped shrimp
- Mini burgers
- Chicken wings
- Onion rings
- Rotisserie chicken (yes, a whole chicken!)
- Nachos in a tacos bowl
- Corn dogs
- Grilled cheese sandwich
Best Rim Salt for a Caesar Cocktail
It is absolutely mandatory that you salt the rim of your Bloody Caesar glass. But you have some options for what to salt it with. We always keep this Caesar rimmer on hand. It's decently flavored and comes in a container that's shaped for the job. Some other tasty options are:
- Montreal steak spice
- Celery salt
- Seasoning salt
Subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Brunch Drinks
- Orange Champagne Cocktail
- Watermelon Margarita
- Almond Butter Latte
- Spicy Aztec Hot Chocolate with Grand Marnier
BEST Bloody Caesar Drink (best Bloody Mary!)
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Salt for the rim, we use this one
- 1-2 ounces of your favorite spirit, vodka, gin, tequila, mezcal, and bourbon work best
- 1 tablespoon clam juice, available in most grocery stores
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice, from a jar of pickles. Optional but highly recommended.
- 1 teaspoon EACH: horseradish, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce
- Juice from ¼ lime
- 5 ½ ounces ⅔ cup tomato juice
- A pinch of black pepper
- Wet the rim of a 12-ounce glass with a lime wedge then dip it in rim salt. Fill the glass half full of ice.
- Add your choice of spirit, the clam juice, pickle juice, horseradish, tabasco sauce, worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. Fill the glass with tomato juice.1-2 ounces of your favorite spirit, 1 tablespoon clam juice, 1 tablespoon pickle juice, 1 teaspoon EACH: horseradish, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, Juice from ¼ lime, 5 ½ ounces ⅔ cup tomato juice
- Top with a little black pepper and your choice of garnishes.
- 1-2 cups spirits (depending on if you want 1 or 2 ounces of alcohol per serving)
- ½ cup each: clam juice and pickle juice
- 3 tablespoons each: horseradish, Tabasco, and Worchestershire sauce
- Juice from 2 limes
- 44 ounces (5 ½ cups) tomato juice
Can a bloody Chaser be frozen if too much is made?
I’ve never tried that but I don’t see why not!
The pitcher of Tequilla Ceasars makes for a great vibe at brunch!
Never made my own clam before but now there’s no going back. It was so easy and way better. Thank you for the idea!
This is just a supped up Bloody Mary, a true Caesar uses Clamato which is clam juice and tomato juice combined. You can add pickle juice, but it still not a Caesar. Review from a True Canadian.
If you scroll down to the recipe, you’ll see that we make our own Clamato using tomato juice and clam juice. Store-bought Clamato (while delicious) is full of terrible ingredients. And the other commonly found brand (Walters Caesar Mix) is really lacking in flavor. As true Canadians, we’ve had a lifetime of testing Caesars and have found that homemade clamato juice makes the best Caesars. 🙂
Yes for sure, been making and drinking Canadian Ceasars for years. Only Clamatoe.