This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade celery salt recipe is easy to make and tastes so much better than store-bought. We use celery leaves for the best flavor and beautiful color.
What is celery salt
Celery salt is a mixture of salt and either dried celery leaves or celery seeds. It adds a slight celery-like flavor when added to a dish.
You can use it in cooking to add depth of flavor or sprinkle it on a finished meal.
Why this celery salt recipe is so much better than store-bought
While most things are better when they're homemade, this salt is one thing that is WAY BETTER than what you find in your grocery store.
- Good-quality salt – Store-bought celery salt is made with iodized table salt which has a very strong and not very pleasant taste. When you make this homemade recipe, you get to choose the type of salt that you like best.
- Celery leaves – Instead of using celery seed, we dry celery leaves. It gives a wonderful flavor to the salt.
- The color – We love the bright green color of this salt! (Storebought is a dull brownish-grey.)
- It's inexpensive – You'll pay a lot of money for a little glass jar of store-bought salt. This homemade version is nearly free.
How to make celery salt
Making this homemade salt blend is a very easy, three-step process:
- Dry the celery leaves in your oven at the lowest temperature setting. This takes about 20 minutes, depending on your oven's lowest temperature. They're done when they're crispy and crumble easily when you rub them between your fingers.
- Crumble the dry leaves into a powder, removing any bits that are hard or not completely dry. It's easiest to do this with your fingers so that you can feel anything that needs to be removed.
- Now all that you have to do is mix the powder with salt.
That's it! In just three easy steps you will have delicious homemade salt!
And if you're wondering what to do with all the celery stalks you have, try making celery juice!
What is the difference between celery seed vs celery salt?
Celery seeds are harvested from the flower of a celery plant. Once they're dried, they can be used to flavor many different dishes. Store-bought celery salt is simply salt mixed with ground celery seeds. We make ours by mixing dried celery leaves with salt, which gives the salt a wonderful flavor and color.
Can I use celery seed to make celery salt?
While we much prefer to use celery leaves, celery seeds can be used in a pinch. You'll want to use 2 tablespoons of celery seeds and 4 tablespoons of salt. And you'll need to grind the seeds to a powder before mixing them with the salt.
How long will this salt last?
This celery leaf salt will last indefinitely if stored in a cool, dry place.
What's the best way to store this salt
The best way to store salt is in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Avoid using a metal container or lid as the salt will corrode the metal. Keep the jar stored in a cool, dry place like your pantry.
What is celery salt used for?
- 1 cup celery leaves (packed)
- ¼ cup sea salt
- Turn your oven on to its lowest temperature setting. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the celery leaves on the baking sheet and put them into your oven – no need to wait for your oven to come up to temperature. Dehydrate them for 15-25 minutes, depending on your oven's lowest temperature. They are done when they're dry and crumble easily.1 cup celery leaves
- Crumble the dry celery leaves into a powder with your fingers and remove any pieces that are hard or not fully dry.
- Mix the celery leaf powder with salt and transfer it to a non-metal jar for storage.¼ cup sea salt
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.