This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Take your savory breakfast to-go with these delicious all-in-one bacon and egg cups. Thick-cut smoky bacon, eggs, and veggies are baked to perfection in a cheesy sweet potato crust. It's a quick and easy recipe that's ready in 40 minutes!
Table of contents
These bacon and egg cups are a mighty delicious breakfast for busy mornings. They're like a complete breakfast plate tucked into one delicious muffin-size serving.
From the cheesy sweet potato crust to the smoky bacon, creamy egg, and fresh veggies, there's so much amazing flavor with each bite!
To make them, we start by lining each muffin cup with a cheesy sweet potato crust. Pop them in the oven for a few minutes then layer in strips of chewy thick-cut bacon. Crack an egg inside each cup along with an asparagus spear and a cherry tomato.
Bake them until the egg is just set, and that's it! They're delicious warm out of the oven but they also taste great cold from the fridge the next day.
They're easy, healthy, and filling, and they make a great savory breakfast, brunch, or snack!
What's in bacon and egg cups?
With a few simple ingredients, you can make these bacon egg and cheese breakfast cups at home, too! Here's everything you need:
- Thick-cut bacon – we use thick-cut bacon for a chewy texture and extra smoky flavor.
- Butter – for greasing the muffin pan and for easier removal.
- Sweet potato – grated sweet potato makes up the base of the tasty ‘crust'. Yum! You can also use regular potatoes if you prefer.
- Eggs – you'll need one egg for each cup, plus one more for the crust.
- Cheddar cheese – we like aged cheddar cheese because we find it has more flavor, especially when melted. But any type of cheddar cheese will work.
- Asparagus spears and cherry tomatoes – these are visually so pretty and taste great together, too!
- Freshly ground black pepper and paprika – for serving.
How to make bacon and egg cups
These bacon and egg muffin cups make an awesome grab-and-go breakfast. They're also visually pretty and the individual servings are a nice addition to a special occasion brunch. Here's how to make them in a couple of simple steps:
- Bake the bacon in the oven for about 10 minutes. You want it to still be chewy as it will cook more in the next step.
- Prepare your muffin tin by either greasing the cups or lining them with parchment paper. The crust is really easy to make by mixing the grated sweet potato, one egg, and cheese together. Divide it between the 12 muffin cups, pressing it down and up the sides. Pop the pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Layer cut strips of bacon into each muffin cup with a little overhang.
- Crack an egg into each muffin cup and then top with an asparagus spear and cherry tomato and bake until the egg is set.
- When they're done, let them cool slightly, then carefully remove them from the muffin tin and sprinkle them with pepper and paprika.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
How long do they keep in the fridge?
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days! You can warm them up, but they also taste great cold out of the fridge.
Can I use regular potatoes?
Yes! If you're not a fan of sweet potatoes, use regular potatoes instead.
Are bacon and egg cups a healthy breakfast?
We think so! Each cup has 285 calories and lots of protein to fill you up.
What to serve with bacon and egg cups
These egg and bacon cups make a delicious quick breakfast on the go. They also pair well with other breakfast foods like these smoky roast potatoes.
The individual cups make a stunning addition to any brunch table for special occasions like Mother's Day or birthdays along with a mimosa!
Favorite grab and go breakfast recipes
- 12 strips thick-cut bacon
- Butter (to grease the muffin tins)
- 1 ½ cups grated sweet potato (packed)
- 13 large eggs (divided)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 12 asparagus spears (tips cut off (reserve the stems to roast for dinner!))
- 6 grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- A little pepper and smoked paprika (to serve)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the bacon on top. Bake for 10 minutes – the bacon should still be chewy.12 strips thick-cut bacon
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter – see notes. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the grated sweet potato, 1 egg, and the cheddar cheese. Divide the sweet potatoes between the 12 muffin tins and press into the bottoms and up the sides. Bake in the heated oven for 10 minutes.1 ½ cups grated sweet potato, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cut each bacon slice in half and lay 2 halves in each of the muffin cups, letting them overhang a little.
- Carefully add one egg to each of the 12 muffin cups. It's easiest to do this by cracking them into a small bowl, one at a time, then pouring them into the muffin cups. Top with an asparagus spear and a cherry tomato half. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the whites are firmly set.12 asparagus spears, 6 grape tomatoes, 13 large eggs
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin. Run a knife or an offset spatula around each to loosen it then carefully remove them. Set them on a paper towel to remove the oil that will be on their bottoms. Sprinkle with a little pepper and smoked paprika and serve.A little pepper and smoked paprika
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.