This Chunky Fig Jam has hints of whiskey and a punch of vanilla. Spread it on toast, dollop it on yogurt, serve it on a cheese platter, or eat it by the spoonful. You’re going to LOVE it!
Guys. This is next level jam. Tasty sweet figs all wrapped up in hints of whiskey and bathed in vanilla. It’s what dreams are made of. Magic.
Remember when I told you that I was given a giant pail full of ripe green figs? I was almost literally swimming in figs for a week straight Seriously, I have the best friends.
This chunky fig jam was my feeble attempt at keeping the figs around all winter. Ha! The one lonely jar that’s staring at me from the pantry won’t even make it through autumn.
Actually, I guarantee it won’t last long. It’s destined for a Thanksgiving cheese plate. In Canada, that’s tomorrow. Yes you Chunky Fig Jam, you will be gone tomorrow. ? ?
What you need to know about making this chunky fig jam:
♡ It’s easy! Seriously. I know that if you haven’t canned something before, it feels pretty intimidating. Like you have to be a grandmother with years of experience feeding hungry mouths. Don’t worry, you got this!
♡ If you want to eat the jam now, or keep it for only a week or two, you can put it in clean jars and store it in your fridge. But don’t do this just because you’re intimidated by canning. Just don’t. The only extra step required to can these is to heat the jars in your oven until they are sterilized. So easy.
♡ The long boil will burn off any of the alcohol that is in the whiskey. All you’ll be left with is a hint of smoky, delicious whiskey flavor. Yum!
♡ I love the chunks of figs (err, it is CHUNKY fig jam, after all) but if you would like a smooth jam you could always blend it.
♡ Think beyond toast! I think this jam is best on a cheese plate or dolloped on top of yogurt.
If you make this Chunky Fig Jam with Whiskey and Vanilla make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- ¼ cup whiskey (or sub bourbon)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons quality vanilla extract
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1½ lbs. fresh green figs, chopped
- Wash your canning jars (the sizes don't matter, but you will need enough to hold 2½ cups of jam) and place them on a baking sheet. Put the jars in the oven and turn your oven on to 250 degrees. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and place the lids in the pot. Remove the pot from the heat but keep the lids in the pot.
- Bring the whiskey, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat. Add the figs and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the figs simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times. Mash the figs gently with a potato masher, making sure to leave many delicious chunks.
- Remove the jars from the oven and carefully pour in the jam, making sure to leave a ½ inch of room at the top. Drain the water from the pot the lids are in and place the lids on the filled jars. Gently screw on the rings. Set your jam on the counter to cool and seal.
- After 24 hours, check the seal by unscrewing the rings and (very!) gently pulling on the lid. If it is stuck, your jam has been canned and it is safe to store in your pantry. If you are at home when your jam is setting, you'll hear a little pop each time one of your jars seals. If a jar doesn't seal you can either try canning it again (wash and sterilize the jars and bring the jam to a boil) or pop it in your fridge and eat it within 2 weeks.