This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This sweet potato salad is perfect for fall. It's made with roasted sweet potatoes, arugula or spinach, toasted pecans, cranberries, and a delicious brown butter vinaigrette. It's irresistible!
Let's celebrate all things autumn with a roasted sweet potato salad.
5 reasons you'll fall in love with this sweet potato salad
- Lightly spiced roasted sweet potatoes that taste like autumn candy
- Toasted pecans. ← put your hand up if you agree that they're the best nuts ever.
- Light and peppery arugula.
- Sweet cranberries and spicy red onion.
- BROWN BUTTER salad dressing. Yes, it's totally worth yelling about.
How to make this sweet potato salad recipe
While making this sweet potato salad is relatively easy, it does involve a few steps. Luckily, most of the prep work can be done while the sweet potatoes are roasting so the salad comes together pretty quickly.
- Chop, season, and roast the sweet potatoes and pecans.
- Make the vinaigrette. So good that it even has a recipe post of its own.
- Toss everything together in a big bowl.
Make the brown butter dressing
The only part of making this recipe that might feel a bit tricky is making the brown butter. Don't worry though, it's very easy. The only thing you need to make sure you do is to keep a close eye on it. Don't walk away from the stove. Don't check your text messages. Watch the butter.
First, the butter will melt.
Second, the butter will foam like crazy.
Third, the butter will brown.
When it's in the foaming stage, start stirring it slowly, This is partly to mix it around so it browns evenly but also to move the foam aside so you can see it browning. Once there are lots of golden brown bits it the butter, remove the pan from the heat. Note: some people strain the brown bits from the butter but I find this picky and totally unnecessary. Save yourself the work and keep them in the butter.
What to serve with roasted sweet potato salad
This is a filling salad recipe that can easily be eaten on its own as a lunch or light dinner. As part of a full meal, all it needs is a simple protein and your dinner is done.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Fall Salad Recipes
- Late Autumn Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Pumpkin Spinach Salad with Maple Pumpkin Dressing
- Pomegranate Salad with Spinach, Hazelnuts, and Mint
- Creamy Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
- Roasted Winter Green Salad
- Crispy Kale Salad with Roasted Beets
- 1 ½ lb. sweet potatoes (cut into cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon each: garlic powder and salt
- ⅓ cup pecans
- 5 ounces baby arugula (can sub baby spinach)
- ⅓ cup juice-sweetened cranberries
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (see notes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a large baking tray and toss with the olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.1 ½ lb. sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon each: garlic powder and salt
- Place the pecans on a seperate baking tray and toast them in the oven (at the same time as the sweet potatoes) for 5 minutes. Let them cool slightly then coarsely chop them.⅓ cup pecans
- Make the brown butter dressing while the sweet potatoes are roasting. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over high heat. Once it begins to foam, stir it and watch it carefully, it will brown in 1-2 minutes. Stir the butter a few times to ensure it browns evenly. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the avocado oil to the pan and set it aside for the butter to cool slightly.2 tablespoons salted butter, 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard. Slowly drizzle in the brown butter and oil, whisking the entire time. Once all the oil and butter have been added, whisk the dressing quickly for several seconds so it becomes creamy.1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup, 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar, ¾ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Place the arugula, cranberries, red onions, chopped pecans, and roasted sweet potatoes in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat. Serve immediately.5 ounces baby arugula, ⅓ cup juice-sweetened cranberries, ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- Goat cheese or feta cheese
- Crispy bacon
- Salty pumpkin seeds
- Baby kale or spinach instead of arugula
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.