Sweet Potato Roll Sushi Bowl
This sweet potato roll sushi bowl is just like your favorite sushi roll only it's served in a bowl. Read: it's WAY easier to make! Sushi rice, crispy baked sweet potato, avocado, nori, cucumbers, and edamame get piled into a bowl then drizzled with an easy to make spicy mayo. It's delicious!
What is a sweet potato roll sushi bowl?
Put your hands up if you love sweet potato roll sushi! All that crispy sweet potato tempura and creamy avocado wrapped up in nori and sticky sushi rice. Maybe your sushi joint even throws in a little crunchy cucumber, just for good measure.
This sushi bowl is all of those things, without the fuss of having to roll your own sushi.
- Sushi rice – jasmine rice makes a great substitute!
- Deliciously crispy sweet potato bites – baked, not fried!
- Creamy diced avocado
- Cucumber rounds – we love using mini cucumbers
- Some edamame – hey, why not?
- Crispy nori – those little seaweed snack packs are the best!
How to make this sweet potato roll sushi bowl recipe
There are a few steps to making this sushi bowl, but all are very easy. Here's what to do:
- Bread the sweet potato with egg (vegan option available), cornstarch, and some spices then bake it until it's nice and crispy.
- Put on a pot of rice. Easy!
- Boil the edamame for 4 minutes. Also very easy!
- Mix some mayo with sriracha, lime juice, and sesame oil.
- Now pile all the things together in a bowl!
Full recipe instructions and ingredients in the recipe card below.
Is this like a sweet potato tempura roll?
Yes! While the sweet potato isn't quite as crispy as tempura, it's almost exactly like a sweet potato tempura roll. If you have a deep fryer and are feeling adventurous, you could totally deep fry the sweet potato bites to make them even crispier.
Variations to try
We love this sushi bowl exactly as is, but here are a few other things you can add to switch it up:
- Sliced radishes – or try daikon radish.
- Teriyaki sauce instead of the spicy mayo.
- Make a spicy mayo using wasabi instead of sriracha.
- Add some cooked salmon or crab meat.
- Use black rice.
- Add some pickled ginger to the bowl.
Also, try this sushi burrito!
Popular lunch bowls
- Chili Chicken Burger Bowls with Avocado Pesto
- Crispy Sesame Chicken Asian Salad Bowl
- Banh Mi Noodle Bowls
- Thai Chicken Burrito Bowls with Coconut Cauli Rice and Pineapple Guac
- Tuna Po’ Boy Salad Bowls
Sweet Potato Roll Sushi Bowl
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Crispy Sweet Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon oil, or preferably spray oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large egg, see notes for vegan
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sweet or smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- 1 cup sushi rice or jasmine rice
- 2 mini cucumbers, cut into rounds
- 1 cup frozen edamame, boiled for 4 minutes
- 8 sheets nori, we like spicy
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sesame seeds, to serve
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, can be vegan or light
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with oil.1 teaspoon oil
- Whisk the egg in a large bowl. Mix the cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in another bowl. Put the sweet potato pieces into the bowl with the egg and mix them around. Take the pieces out of the egg and put them into the cornstarch -use your hands, don't dump them in or you'll get too much egg! Mix them around so that they are all coated and then spread them out on the baking sheet then spray or drizzle the tops with oil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until they are soft inside.1 medium sweet potato, 1 large egg, ¼ cup cornstarch, 1 teaspoon EACH: sweet or smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the rice. Bring the rice + 2 cups of cold water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it rest, covered, for 8 minutes.1 cup sushi rice or jasmine rice
- Make the spicy mayo by mixing the ingredients together in a small bowl.4 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sriracha, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Put it all together. Divide the rice between the bowls then top with the crispy sweet potatoes, cucumbers edamame, nori, and avocado. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on for garnish then drizzle with the spicy mayo.2 mini cucumbers, 1 cup frozen edamame, 8 sheets nori, 1 avocado, Sesame seeds