Transport yourself to the tropics with this refreshing pineapple smoothie! It's a thick, creamy, and delicious smoothie that's great as a quick breakfast or snack on the go. It's made with only 5 ingredients and it's ready in just 5 minutes!
For more delicious fruit-filled smoothies, try our mango smoothie, pear smoothie, and orange creamsicle smoothie!
Table of contents
We're all about smoothies because they're quick, nutritious, and delicious. We especially love the tropical flavors in this pineapple smoothie recipe, so it's in high rotation in our kitchen.
Ripe juicy pineapple isn't just tasty, it's good for you, too. It's high in vitamin C, and it also contains bromelain which is an enzyme that helps the body break down and digest proteins. It can also reduce inflammation and aid in healing time.
Just add all the ingredients to your blender, and blend it until smooth. Give it a boost by adding protein powder or chia seeds, and adjust the sweetness with a touch of honey.
This kid-friendly smoothie tastes like a tropical cocktail (without the alcohol). It's easy to make dairy-free and it will get your day off to a great start!
Pineapple smoothie ingredients notes
You only need five simple ingredients to make this healthy pineapple smoothie. It's mostly fruit and no juice. Here's what you need:
- Frozen pineapple – frozen pineapple chunks make this smoothie taste tropical, fruity, and a bit like a piña colada! You can easily freeze fresh pineapple, or buy it already frozen in the freezer aisle.
- Banana – the riper the bananas, the sweeter they are. You can also use a frozen banana, but you don't need to. Frozen bananas make for a thicker, creamier smoothie.
- Orange – orange adds a bright citrus pop to this smoothie plus a healthy dose of vitamin C!
- Yogurt – plain or vanilla yogurt both work, so choose what you prefer. We usually choose Greek yogurt because it's higher in protein. Use coconut yogurt or another dairy-free alternative if needed.
- Water – we use a bit of water to help thin out this smoothie, but you can also use regular or non-dairy milk like almond milk or coconut milk in place of water for extra creaminess.
How to make a pineapple smoothie
This pineapple banana smoothie is creamy, refreshing, and tastes like the tropics. Enjoy it as a healthy snack or quick breakfast on the go! Here's how to make it in just three easy steps:
- Add all the ingredients to your blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, adding water as needed.
- Pour it into cups and serve. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Tips for making the best pineapple smoothie
This pineapple smoothie recipe is pretty fool-proof but here are a few tips that help with making it:
- Add your liquid first – this helps in the blending process. Use as much water or milk as you want for your desired consistency.
- Use a high-powered blender if you have one – when using frozen fruit in smoothies, a high-powered blender like a Vitamix really helps. You can make one in a regular blender, but it won't be as smooth.
- If you're using a Vitamix, use the tamper to press the ingredients closer to the blade.
Give your pineapple smoothie a boost
Here are a few easy but delicious ways you can give your pineapple smoothie a boost and personalize it to your taste:
- Add protein powder – adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder will help make this smoothie more satiating, so you feel full for longer. You can also use unflavored protein powder.
- Add hemp hearts or chia seeds – these everyday superfoods are rich in healthy omega-3s and protein. Chia seeds are also a great source of fiber.
- Add spinach – fresh spinach will turn your smoothie green of course, but you'll reap all the benefits of these greens without tasting them.
- Add honey – there's already a natural sweetness to this smoothie from the pineapple and banana. If you like it a bit sweeter, add some honey or agave syrup to taste.
How to serve a pineapple smoothie
To serve this pineapple smoothie as we do in the pictures, pour it into glasses and garnish it with a slice of banana and a pineapple frond.
This smoothie can be quite thick so it's great for smoothie bowls, too. Pour it into a bowl and top it with crunchy granola and a sprinkle of shredded coconut for a healthy and satisfying topical breakfast!
This smooth is best enjoyed right away, but if you take it to go, it will keep at room temperature for up to 2 hours. You can also store it in the fridge for up to 1 day. It may separate, so just give it a good shake before drinking.
We add yogurt to many of our smoothie recipes as it's a great way to add some healthy protein and make a smoothie more filling. If you want to avoid dairy, try replacing it with dairy-free yogurt or use coconut milk instead.
If your ingredients are all fresh (not frozen) then simply add a big handful of ice to your smoothie to cool it down. You may also want to reduce the amount of water as fresh ingredients make a thinner smoothie.
We recommend adding a natural sweetener like honey or agave. Maple syrup is another option, but it will add a slight maple flavor.
Popular smoothie recipes
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 medium banana
- ½ naval orange, peeled
- ½ cup yogurt, plain or vanilla
- ¾ cup water
- Add the pineapple, banana, orange, yogurt, and water to your blender.2 cups frozen pineapple, 1 medium banana, ½ cup yogurt, ¾ cup water, ½ naval orange
- Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add extra water if you'd like a thinner smoothie.
- Pour into cups and serve right away.
If you love smoothies as much as we do, check out all of our smoothie recipes!
- Creamy Smoothies – Almond butter smoothie, coconut milk smoothie, and our peanut butter banana smoothie are all super creamy and delicious.
- Berries – very berry smoothie and chia berry smoothie are full of sweet berry flavor.
- Chocolate – our chocolate chia seed smoothie and our mocha smoothie bowl both taste like a treat but are very healthy for you!
- Tropical – mango smoothie, ginger turmeric smoothie, tropical make ahead smoothie, orange creamsicle smoothie will transport you to the tropics!
- Green – green breakfast smoothie and our green goddess smoothie bowl are great ways to add a boost of healthy greens to your day!
- Fruit smoothies – pear smoothie is a sweet and delicious smoothie recipe.
- Vegetable smoothie – raw beet smoothie and spinach smoothie are great for adding some healthy veggies to your day!
This is SO deliciously refreshing, Kristen! Love the tropical vibe. It’s invigorating!
So creamy and delicious, this is the perfect summer breakfast that feels like a cocktail.
The most refreshing smoothie. So easy to make too.
Cant wait to try make this pineapple smoothie again. Refreshing and delicious. Thanks for sharing.
This smoothie was exactly what I needed on a hot day, poolside! Nothing like a taste of the tropics while at home; definitely, a new favorite recipe!