Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Squares
So these Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Squares are just about the best things ever. Best. Things. Ever. I know that I'm repeating myself, but I just wanted to make sure you guys know.
I have a bit of a thing for Rice Crispy Treats (or bars or squares). I haven't actually made them at home since I was probably 11 but every time I go to a coffee shop where they have them homemade (I'm totally not into those creepy packaged ones that I tried once and are really really gross) I always buy one. Yes, just one. 🙂
But … I didn't have to stop at just one when they were sitting on my kitchen counter!
The peanut butter in these is subtle but somehow makes them even better than the original. But do you want to know the best part? Yep, you guessed it: The Chocolate.
When I was eating them, I would take a bit of the chocolate-y end, then a bite from the other side, and always finish with the last bite of pure chocolate-y goodness. You really wouldn't want the whole thing to be covered in chocolate. It's better to switch things up from bite to bite.
If you're not a big peanut butter fan (is there such a thing?), feel free to leave it out and just make the rest of the recipe as is.
Also, if you have a microwave you can do the melting the marshmallows and butter step in there. Remembering from when I made them as a kid I think it actually works better that way. I haven't had a microwave in years though so I was stuck with doing it the old fashioned way. 🙂
If you make Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Squares make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
When you have peanut butter, chocolate and marshmallows, you can't go wrong. These Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Squares are absolutely delicious.
- 10 ounces of marshmallows* (about 45)
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the pan*
- 6 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Grease the sides and bottom of an 8×8 inch baking dish with butter.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir occasionally. Once melted add the peanut butter, vanilla and salt and stir until the peanut butter has melted. Add Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Wet your hands and give them a shake to remove some of the water. With your damp hands (this will prevent the mixture from sticking to them) gently pat down into the baking dish. Do not press down too hard.
- Set aside on the counter or in your fridge to cool for an hour, until set. Cut into 9 squares.
- Melt the chocolate in a small pan over medium heat. Dip 1 side of each square into the chocolate and set aside on a piece of parchment paper. Allow chocolate to harden for a few hours before eating. Or dig right in and use the chocolate as a dip 🙂
If eating vegan is important to you make sure the marshmallows you use do not contain gelatine. Also, use a butter replacement such as Earth Balance.