Healthy One Pan Chicken Potato Gratin is a remake of the famous classic. We've snuck in extra veggies by replacing the traditional butter and flour heavy sauce for a rich and cheesy cauliflower sauce, then nestled in some crispy skinned chicken and kale for a delicious and easy to make dinner recipe.
I've got a one pan dinner recipe for you today because it's October, it's getting chilly, and easy comfort food is where it's at. This is all about feel-good potatoes, crispy-skinned chicken, and the creamiest cheese sauce ever.
It's everything your wildest, cheese sauce filled fantasies are made of. Only it's not quite. You should know me better than that. There's no butter, no flour, no cream, and only a handful of cheese in here.
Please don't run away!
I pinky swear promise that you won't notice that this is a HEALTHY chicken potato gratin recipe. ?
I went back to that much loved Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo recipe and gave it a bit of a non-vegan tweak. Spoiler alert: I added cheese.
Then I baked some potatoes, nestled in some chicken, and poured that cheesy cauliflower sauce all over so it wound itself around all the potatoes. Because we all know that cheese + potatoes + awesome.
There are a few steps, but I promise you it will come together easily. Here's your Healthy Chicken Potato Gratin game plan:
- Rub some oil on the potatoes and pop them in the oven.
- Steam some cauliflower and add it to your blender. Stir in a handful (or two) of cheddar cheese.
- Sear the chicken till the skin is crispy and delicious.
- Nestle the chicken into the potatoes, pour over the cheese sauce and dot the pan with kale.
- Cook a little longer, then EAT!
See how easy that was?
If you make this One Pan Chicken Potato Gratin makes sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 2 lbs. mixed red and white potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup grated white cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 cups kale, packed
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Toss the potatoes and onion with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, thyme, and sea salt in a casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the rest of the recipe. Add the cauliflower and chicken stock to a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft. Transfer to your Vitamix or a food processor and blend on high until smooth. Pour the sauce back into the pot and add the cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Dry the chicken with paper towels and sprinkle the skin side with a little sea salt. Place skin side down and cook until the skin is crispy and brown. Work in batches if needed.
- Once the potatoes begin to soften, remove the casserole from the oven and pour the cheesy cauliflower sauce over the top. Add the kale and mix well. Nestle the chicken thighs into the casserole and bake until the potatoes are soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the red onions over the top during the last few minutes of cooking.
More delicious one pan meals: