Apple Chicken Recipe with Bacon and Potatoes
This Apple Chicken Recipe is so delicious. It's made in one pan with bacon, potatoes, spinach, and a simple honey and grainy mustard sauce. It's an easy to make and healthy recipe perfect for apple season!
Want an easy and healthy dinner recipe that's packed full of flavor? I thought you might! This apple chicken recipe has become one of our favorite new chicken recipes, and I think it's about to become your fav, too.
Apples add just the right hint of sweetness which goes so well with chicken.
Why you'll love this apple chicken recipe
- Sweet, crisp, BC Ambrosia Apples. ← these are my personal favorite apples.
- Bacon. Because bacon makes everything better.
- One pan easy. Love simple dinner recipes!
- A light honey mustard sauce that becomes creamy from the potatoes.
- It's a healthy, gluten-free + paleo + dairy-free recipe that is so delicious you'll never notice it's any of those things.
See those apples up there? They are my all-time favorite apples. They're BC Ambrosia Apples and they're sweet and super crispy. They're perfect for baking and cooking AND for snacking on. As they're slow to brown, I often slice one and pack it in my daughter's snack for daycare.
When I buy Ambrosia Apples I always look for the BC Tree Fruits sticker leaf. (You can see it on one of the apples in the picture.) It's how I know I'm buying premium quality apples.
BC Tree Fruits farmers are a cooperative of over 430 families that live and grow in the Okanagan Valley. ← That's where I grew up, running around my grandad's orchard. When you purchase apples with the BC Tree Fruits leaf, you are supporting your community.
Once you have your BC Ambrosia Apples in hand, this apple bacon chicken skillet is almost yours.
How to make this chicken and apple recipe:
- Start by crisping the bacon. Then try not eat all the crispy bacon before dinner is ready. Good luck!
- Then add the chopped apples to the pan to caramelize them and give them some color.
- Now it's the chicken's turn. Give it a quick sear so it has some color, too.
- Now add the simple sauce ingredients and the potatoes and pop the pan into the oven. Easy!
- When the potatoes are soft and the chicken has cooked through, scatter the bacon, apples, and spinach around the pan then pop it back into the heat for a few minutes to wilt the spinach.
And dinner is ready!
Fun apple facts
Apples emit ethylene, a naturally occurring gas that ripens fruit. If you have an unripe avocado, stick it in a bag with an apple and it won't be long until you can eat it. But if you don't want to ripen fruit, keep your apples in a bag away from other produce.
Did you know that apples are easier to peel when they're cold? But only peel them if you have to as most of the nutritional value is in the skin.
Apparently, a plate of apple slices on your kitchen counter will help absorb cooking odors. Did you know that? I just found that out!
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL’S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Healthy Chicken Recipes:
- One Pan Bacon Apple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Crispy Garlic Butter Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
- Cheesy Fajita Stuffed Chicken
- Asian Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Saucy Peanut Chicken with Broccoli and Peppers
- Baked Sesame Orange Chicken
Apple Chicken Recipe with Bacon and Potatoes
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 strips bacon, cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 BC Tree Fruits Ambrosia Apples, diced
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon each: salt and pepper
- 1 cup BC Tree Fruits Apple Cider or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons each: dijon mustard, grainy mustard, and honey
- 1 lb. nugget potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups spinach
- Turn your oven on to 375 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium heat until it's crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon.4 strips bacon
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the apples to the pan and let them cook until they turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan and put them with the bacon.2 BC Tree Fruits Ambrosia Apples
- Season the chicken thighs with the salt and pepper and add them to the pan. When they are brown on one side, remove them from the pan.8 skinless chicken thighs, ½ teaspoon each: salt and pepper
- Add the cider or chicken stock, the dijon, grainy mustard, and honey to the pan and whisk. Add the potatoes and stir them through the sauce. Nestle the chicken thighs into the potatoes, browned side up.1 cup BC Tree Fruits Apple Cider or chicken stock, 2 tablespoons each: dijon mustard, grainy mustard, and honey, 1 lb. nugget potatoes
- Cover the pot and put it into your oven to cook for 30 minutes. Remove the cover from the pot and let it cook for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the bacon, apples, and spinach. Pop it back in your oven for 5 minutes to wilt the spinach.2 cups spinach