This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Hot lemonade is the perfect winter thirst-quencher. And it can help you fight the flu, too! This all-natural recipe is quick and easy to make even if you're feeling under the weather. It uses only 4 ingredients, and it's ready in just 5 minutes!
Hot lemonade is the cool-weather version of everyone's favorite refreshing drink. A mug of this hot lemonade will warm your heart and remind you of summer.
It's cleansing and immune-boosting, so it's a great recipe to keep handy for cold and flu season, too. The lemon juice is high in vitamin c, while raw honey has natural anti-microbial and anti-viral properties, helping to keep those bugs at bay.
It's a simple recipe to make using just fresh lemon juice, hot water, honey, and a slice of lemon. It's super versatile so you can easily add other ingredients like slices of ginger or turmeric, fresh mint, or cayenne for a spicy kick!
Why you'll love it
- It's warming for cooler weather days
- It's hydrating and naturally sweet
- It's immune boosting, and perfect for cold and flu season
Hot lemonade ingredients
It only takes 4 simple ingredients to make this warming lemon drink:
- Lemon juice – fresh is best!
- Honey – any honey will work to add sweetness and balance out the tart lemon taste.
- Hot water – to fill your mug.
- Lemon slices – for garnish.
How to make hot lemonade
It's easy to make this hot lemonade recipe by following just 2 simple steps:
- Add the lemon juice and honey to your mug.
- Pour in the hot water and stir. If you'd like, add a lemon slice to garnish. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Variations to try
- Boil your water with a slice of fresh ginger or turmeric for a bit of kick and the added anti-inflammatory and anti-viral health benefits
- Add a pinch of cayenne to help improve circulation
- Add a stick of cinnamon for more warming wintery flavor
- Add fresh mint for a minty taste, and to help relieve headaches and open airways
- Make it boozy with a shot of bourbon or whiskey
What type of honey is best to use?
The best type of honey to use is raw, unpasteurized honey. It's unprocessed and still contains all beneficial antioxidants and immune-boosting properties.
Can I use bottled lemon juice?
The flavor of bottled lemon juice is quite a bit different than fresh, and it's not a flavor we like very much. If it's what you have on hand and you don't mind the flavor, then go for it!
When to serve hot lemonade
Through the fall and winter months, when we're less interested in drinking cold water, we sip on this hydrating hot lemonade throughout the day. We even serve it at mealtime to the whole family in place of sugary drinks or plain water.
Most importantly, do yourself a favor and make a mug of this immune-boosting drink as soon as you feel a cold or flu bug coming on.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best!)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ cups hot water (or eough to fill your mug)
- Lemon slice (to serve)
- Place the lemon juice and honey into your mug.2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey
- Pour the hot water into your mug and stir well. If you'd like, add a lemon slice to you mug.1 ½ cups hot water, Lemon slice
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
If you love lemonade as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our lemonade recipes!