Grilled Maple Dijon Carrots
These Grilled Maple Dijon Carrots are THE BEST ever. No lie. They're grilled on the BBQ then covered in an easy to make and super delicious maple dijon sauce. They're a naturally vegan + gluten-free + paleo side dish recipe that everyone will fall in love with.
If I renamed these The Best Damn Carrots Ever, do you think it would be too much? I mean, that's the truth. They really are the best. But maybe it's a touch overboard in the bragging department?
We'll keep these known as Grilled Maple Dijon Carrots, but you and I both know they're the best. Or at least you will the moment you try them.
The first time I made these, I made one pound of carrots. I thought that would be plenty to serve four people. Ha! We gave half a carrot to little Avalina, and the two of us polished off the plate. We seriously almost fought over the last few. That's a half pound of carrots EACH! I know it seems excessive but that's good they are.
The beauty of these babies is that they don't turn mushy on the BBQ. You know what I'm talking about, right? There's nothing worse than a limp, overcooked carrot. It's such a sad sad thing.
THESE carrots are tender and keep just the right amount of bite to them so you can tell they're still a vegetable.
You do need to cut them in half, or into quarters if you're using the really big carrots that usually come in bags. If you try and cook a whole carrot, even on low heat, the outside will burn before the inside cooks. Trust me on this one. The very first time I experimented with this recipe, I ate raw carrots for lunch.
This recipe is a little different than other grilled carrot recipes. The biggest change is that you don't have to cook the carrots first. I mean, who the heck wants to cook carrots in a pot then cook them on the grill? Isn't the whole point of firing up you BBQ that you don't have to cook inside? Ya, I thought so, too. By cutting the carrots into halves or quarters, you can skip that whole silly pre-cooking your carrots step.
We need to talk about this glaze …
It's almost embarrassingly simple to make. I'm talking about three ingredients. How is this even a recipe? Ha!
Well, I firmly believe that simple is 99% of the time the way to go. It lets the few ingredients really shine. And bonus points that it's easy to make.
It's sweet, a little Dijon-y spicy, and you're going to want to drench your entire dinner in it. We like to save a little to serve on the side then everything else we're eating in the sweet and sticky sauce. Yum!
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL’S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
EASY CARROT RECIPES
- Bourbon Maple Glazed Carrots with Pistachios
- Curry Grilled Carrots with Yogurt Sauce
- Spicy Honey Roasted Carrots
- Oven Roasted Carrots with Carrot Top Pesto
These might just be the best darn Grilled Maple Dijon Carrots ever. No lie. They're grilled on the BBQ then covered in an easy to make and super delicious maple dijon sauce. They're a naturally vegan + gluten-free + paleo side dish recipe that everyone will fall in love with.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
- 2 lb carrots, cut in half lengthwise (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: minced parsley, for garnish
- Preheat your grill on low heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and garlic.
- Toss the carrots with the oil and sea salt. Grill, turning them once, until they are mostly soft and have grill marks on both sides, about 10 minutes. Brush the carrots with about half of the glaze and let it caramelize on the grill for one more minute.
- Remove the carrots from the grill and drizzle them with the remaining maple Dijon glaze. If you'd like, make them pretty with a little parsley.
If your carrots are on the bigger side, or if you prefer them completely soft, cut them into quarters lengthwise.