This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Everyone loves a dipping sauce, especially this Cajun mayo which can only be described as the ultimate smoky-spicy sidekick! Say goodbye to bare potatoes, french fries, sandwiches, burgers, even popcorn chicken or shrimp — in just 5 minutes you'll have the best Cajun mayo sauce.
If you enjoy a little zing in your dips and sauces, this is the one for you! The Cajun seasoning adds warmth and smokiness, while the mayonnaise provides a nice tang, tones down the upfront spice, and makes for a wonderfully creamy dunk!
And if you're wondering about those tasty potatoes in the picture, they are our delicious Cajun potatoes!
These are the ingredients you'll need to make a delicious Cajun mayo:
- Mayo: This is the tangy base of your sauce. You can use light mayonnaise if preferred.
- Cajun seasoning: You can use store bought Cajun seasoning or make your own (see recipe in the notes below for a half batch of our Cajun seasoning blend). Keep in mind using a store bought Cajun spice mix means you let go of the reins when it comes to salt and spice – you just won't know until you try it!
- Tabasco sauce: This hot sauce just peppers, salt, and vinegar in it so it adds a mild heat and even some sweetness to the dip. A little goes a long way, so just a teaspoon will do!
What is Cajun seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a combination of spices that make up a bold, spicy, zesty, earthy flavor.
The beauty of this Cajun mayo recipe is that you will pull together your own Cajun seasoning using a handful of spices, many of which you likely already have in your cupboard. The other bonus is that you can make this as mild or spicy as you like!
Here are the spices you'll need:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne (if you like it spicy)
How to make Cajun mayo
It's so easy that you're going to wonder why you haven't been making this dipping sauce ages ago! Here's what you'll do:
- Combine all the ingredients: Add your mayo, Cajun seasoning, and Tabasco sauce to a small bowl or jar. *If you're making your own Cajun seasoning, consider putting the spice blend together before adding it to the mayo and Tabasco.
- Let it sit: This is the hard part! Let the sauce sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before you eat it. This is so that the spices have some time to dance with the mayo. If you eat it right away it may taste kind of bland and gritty.
- Serve or store: At this point, you have delayed gratification long enough – enjoy, your Cajun mayo!! Or, you can store the Cajun mayo in an airtight container in the fridge for ~10 days if you plan on eating it later.
What to serve with Cajun mayo
How to store Cajun mayo?
You can store Cajun mayo in the fridge for 10 days. Make sure you put it in an airtight container or a jar with a lid, like a small mason jar.
Is this Cajun mayo super spicy?
No, it's not super spicy. It does have some spice to it, however, it's toned down from the mayo. If you want to make it spicier you can always adjust the spices used in your homemade Cajun seasoning. To add some more heat add a dash more Tabasco.
Can I use a different type of hot sauce?
Sure! We like Tabasco for its slightly vinegary flavor. And a hot sauce from Cajun Louisiana seems like the right choice for Cajun mayo. But you can swap it for your favorite hot sauce or what you have in your fridge.
- ¾ cup mayonnaise (can be light)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (recipe in notes)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Add the mayo, Cajun seasoning, and Tabasco sauce to a small bowl.¾ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Mix until well combined and then put the bowl into your fridge for 30 minutes. (See notes.)
- Either serve the mayo or store it in a sealed jar in your fridge for up to 10 days.
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon EACH: onion powder and garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon EACH: thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.