Making a creamsicle sorbet wasn’t my intention. Really, it wasn’t. Not that there is anything wrong with creamsicles, it’s just that was I had intended was a little, well, fancier. This post was supposed to be titled, Orange Blossom Buttermilk Sorbet. But how could I call it that when it tastes just like a creamsicle?
This is summertime, backyard ice cream at its best. It’s refreshing, light and reminiscent of childhood favourites. The buttermilk adds a little tangy flavour which is why I think this ended up tasting just like a creamsicle.
And the best part? Other than the taste, of course. This is as healthy as ice cream is ever going to get. There's no heavy cream or whole milk in sight and only just enough sugar so you still know you're eating a dessert.
I have to thank Pastry Girl over at Dessert First for the inspiration for this Orange Creamsicle Sorbet. It's seriously so good you'll want to pick up your bowl and lick it clean.
Before you run off to grab your ice cream maker, I would love it if you would take a sec to check out the new section Resources for Food Bloggers. I've also added 10 Photography Tips for New Food Bloggers. Neither are entirely finished, but I hope to provide some useful information to other bloggers out there 🙂
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Juice and pulp from 2 large navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 2½ cups buttermilk
- Optional: 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Combine the water, sugar, orange juice, orange blossom water, and orange rind in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat on the stove until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Let it boil for 1 minute, and then remove it from heat and let cool completely.
- Add the buttermilk and stir to combine. Place the mixture in the refrigerator, covered, overnight to chill.
- Process in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Licking your lips for more ice cream recipes? Check out the rest of the Ice Cream Sundays Series:
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Blog Income Report – February 2017 - March 23, 2017
- Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup with Crispy Chickpea Croutons - March 21, 2017
- Spring Veggie Enchiladas with Cilantro, Lime, Jalapeño Yogurt Sauce - March 19, 2017