I live in a part of the city called Gastown; named after Captain John ‘Gassy Jack’ Deighton who, in 1867, became the area’s first settler and notorious saloon owner. By the 1930’s there were more than 300 licensed drinking establishments (and, I would think, an uncountable number of men stumbling home with whiskey on their breath) in the 12 blocks that make up Gastown. While we certainly can’t compete with the area’s heyday in terms of numbers, we are still known as the number one spot in the city to quench your thirst.
You’re probably thinking: what does any of this have to do with a grilled cheese sandwich?
The answer: not much. Except that I was sipping on a cocktail at The Diamond (one of my fav bars in the area) when I ate this sandwich.
Gooey melted cheese, sweet and crunchy apple and spicy sriracha butter = damn close to perfection. Have I mentioned that it is also fast and easy to make?
- 1 tablespoon softened butter, plus more for the bread
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Optional: 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 slices of bread
- Cheese (I like cheddar and parmesan but think brie would be delicious as well)*
- ½ an apple, cored and sliced
- Mix together the 1 tablespoon of butter with the sriracha in a small bowl.
- Butter one slice of bread with sriracha butter. Add cheese, apple slices and more cheese. Top with the other piece of bread.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium/low heat. Add sandwich and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is brown.
Recognize these pictures? If you’ve stopped by this post before you might remember that these were the images I had up. I had a bit of a cheesy, ooey gooey sandwich craving the other night and thought I’d snap a few new pics.
Want some more delicious sandwich recipes? Check out the complete Six Part Sandwich Series: