Hello, friends! Welcome to the first edition of TEM Throwback Thursdays. See this grilled cheese and apple sandwich that’s all ooey-gooey über delicious? This was tucked way back in the February 2012 recipe archives from when I first started this blog, and the pictures that accompanied it were terrible, to say the least.
It’s a little embarrassing, actually. You’ll have to scroll down so you can have a laugh with (at) me at first attempts at photography. What is that missing part that looks like a mouse nibbled on the sandwich before I shot the photos? And why does it look like the cheese melted and then hardened into an unappetizing clump. Really, what was I thinking?!
I’ve been going through all my posts with my new Grammarly App (affiliate link) in the hopes of finding and removing some of the terrible spelling/grammar/typo mistakes that plague this blog. I cringe every time I see one, and I know you guys do, too. It’s a long and tedious process, but I think you guys are worth it. There are oodles of recipes on TEM, and many of the early ones I’d love to share with you. But honestly, they’re in desperate need of a photo makeover.
I thought I’d start by sharing this grilled cheese and apple sandwich, because who in their right mind doesn’t love grilled cheese sandwiches? I added some new photos, but the text below I kept the same. The original photos are at the bottom. I hope they make you chuckle as much as I have been!
I live in a part of the city called Gastown; named after Captain John ‘Gassy Jack’ Deighton who, in 1867, became the area’s first settler and notorious saloon owner. By the 1930’s there were more than 300 licensed drinking establishments (and, I would think, an uncountable number of men stumbling home with whiskey on their breath) in the 12 blocks that make up Gastown. While we certainly can’t compete with the area’s heyday in terms of numbers, we are still known as the number one spot in the city to quench your thirst.
You’re probably thinking: what does any of this have to do with a grilled cheese sandwich?
The answer: not much. Except that I was sipping on a cocktail at The Diamond (one of my fav bars in the area) when I ate this sandwich.
Gooey melted cheese, sweet and crunchy apple and spicy sriracha butter = damn close to perfection. Have I mentioned that it is also fast and easy to make?
- 1 teaspoon softened butter, plus more for the bread
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- Optional: ½ - 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 4 slices of bread
- Cheese (I like cheddar and parmesan but think brie would be delicious as well)*
- ½ an apple, cored and sliced
- Mix the butter with the sriracha in a small bowl.
- Butter one slice of bread with plain butter then turn the bread over and butter the other side with the Sriracha butter. Add the cheese, apple slices, and more cheese. Top with the other piece of bread then butter the top.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the sandwich and cover the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese has melted, and the bread is brown and crispy.
The original Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich with Sriracha Butter photos. Please don’t judge!
Are you’re thinking, ‘Hey, those new photos look WAY better than the old photos?” Ya, me too. If you’d like to learn a few of the tricks I used to improve my food photography, check out the post: 10 Photography Tips for New Food Bloggers.
Want some more delicious sandwich recipes? Check out the complete Six Part Sandwich Series:
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Spicy Kung Pao Chicken - May 27, 2016
- Sun Dried Tomato and Feta Quinoa Casserole - May 24, 2016
- Cinnamon Scented Vegetarian Crock Pot Moroccan Tagine - May 20, 2016