This salad is confusing. It reminds me of summer: hot days, sweet vegetables and sunshine. But it's made with certifiable winter veggies: beets, apples and carrots.
It would go equally well alongside some bbq as it would beside something tasty and tender you pull out of your slow cooker.
It's kinda like a cross between a mayo-free coleslaw and a salad. It's crunchy and sweet and a tiny bit earthy from the beets. I like to mix in lots of mint; it's my favourite part of the salad.
It also keeps for ages so if you don't finish it all at dinner you can take the leftovers for lunch. Is it right to call something a salad that can turn into leftovers. Now that I think about that I'm not sure I named this right …
Unless your a bit masochistic you'll want to use a mandolin to slice the veggies. I don't know about you but fussing over cutting vegetables perfectly thin and just the right length is not my idea of fun. With a mandolin you'll get the job done in about 2 minutes as opposed to 20 minutes if you tried to cut each little piece.
And hey … If you caught the post on Miso Ginger Salmon Steaks and were wondering what the heck the delicious salad in the back of the pics here, this is it!
If you make this Carrot, Beet and Apple Salad make sure to snap a pic and hashtag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on it!
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large crisp apple
- 2 medium beets
- 1 cup mint, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- A good pinch of sea salt
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Using a mandolin with a ⅛ blade shred the carrots and apple and place them in a large bowl. Shred the beets with the mandolin then rinse them under cold running water 3-4 times. This will help them to not bleed their colour through the salad. If presentation isn't important when you're serving this you can skip this step. (you can also grate the veggies; the taste will remain roughly the same but the presentation will be quite different.)
- Add the beets and the mint to the bowl with the carrots and apple. Pour the dressing over and toss to coat well.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Fresh Pineapple Margaritas with Sweet and Spicy Rim Salt - May 25, 2017
- Pan Fried Chicken and Mushrooms with Creamy Cauliflower Mash - May 23, 2017
- Lifesaving Lemony Salad Dressing - May 19, 2017