Sweet Apple Bourbon Baked Beans
These easy to make One-Pot Bourbon Baked Beans are loaded with sweet apple slices for extra delicious beans. Home-cooked baked beans paired with bacon, apples, and bourbon are the bomb. They’re guaranteed to be a HUGE hit!
It doesn't get more home-cooked, feel-good, comfort food than this recipe. I mean really, bourbon baked beans, with apples, and bacon. OMG. Here you go, friends. This is happiness on a plate.
Now I'm not normally a baked beans kinda gal, but this summer I had the best baked beans EVER and have been dreaming of them every day since. We were at my handsome man's Aunt Val and Uncle Jim's place, and they were throwing a 65th wedding anniversary party for Jim's mom and dad.
→ Sidebar ← 65th wedding anniversary. Isn't that the most amazing thing you've ever heard?!
Val cooked up a massive spread, and the entire menu was off-the-hook crazy delicious. One day, when she shares her recipe for the best baked salmon ever, I'll share it with you. (Please please share the recipe, Val.)
These apple bourbon baked beans are my take on the baked beans I had this summer. I don't think there were any apples in the one I had, but with all the trees brimming with apples I couldn't help myself but add some to the pot.
Don't get intimidated by the long-ish looking list of ingredients; these apple bourbon baked beans couldn't be any easier to make.
Step 1 → Cook up some bacon and onions
Step 2 → Add all the other ingredients to the pot and put it in the oven
Step 3 → Dig in!
See? It's ridiculously easy.
I know that a reasonable person would eat these apple bourbon baked beans as a side dish, but I'm happy having a big bowl and calling it dinner. Weird, right?
When I was shopping for the ingredients, I threw a bunch of kale into my shopping basket with the plans to eat a big salad and a side of bourbon baked beans. They were good intentions. You know what they say, “the road to delicious bourbon baked beans is paved with …” Wait, that's totally not what anyone says. Ever.
Before you guys run away from me and my baked beans delirium, I'm going to go and leave you with these.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More Delicious Summer Side Dishes:
- Cauliflower Salad with Avocado Pesto Dressing
- The Best Greek Salad Recipe
- Spicy Buffalo Corn on the Cob
- Summer Quinoa Salad with Cherries and Almonds
- Broccoli, Cauliflower, Blueberry Coleslaw
These easy to make one-pot bourbon baked beans are loaded with sweet apple slices for extra delicious beans. They're guaranteed to be a HUGE hit!
- 4 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2in pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 large apples, skin on, one quartered then sliced into 1/4in pieces, one roughly chopped (firm apples such as Ambrosia, Rose, Granny Smith or Honeycrisp work best)
- 1 28 ounce can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 ounce can white navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/4– 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (depending on the sweetness of your BBQ sauce)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons chili powder (be careful as some chili powder can be quite spicy)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: black pepper and mint, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bacon to a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the bacon begins releasing its fat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until the onion starts to brown, and the bacon is cooked through.
- Add the bourbon to the pot and scrape the bottom to remove any stuck on bits. Add all the remaining ingredients and give the pot a good stir. Cover the pot and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and is bubbly.
- Serve with a sprinkle of black pepper and some chopped mint leaves.