Peanut Butter Granola
Here's a peanut butter granola that's healthy, but tastes like a treat. It's easy to make using mostly pantry ingredients like rolled oats, peanut butter, honey, and chocolate chips. It's the perfect make-ahead breakfast for busy weekdays, and it's ready in under an hour.
We've been making homemade granola for as long as we can remember. It's so much tastier and healthier than store-bought options out there. This peanut butter granola with chocolate chips version is sweet, delicious, and easy to make.
The key is to stock your pantry with the ingredients, and make it when you find yourself with a spare hour. It's mostly hands-off baking time so you can pop it in the oven then kick back or do other meal prep while it bakes.
It's delicious with milk (or dairy-free alternative), yogurt, fruit, on top of smoothie bowls, or by the handful as a snack. Pack it for a hike, or gift some to a friend or new parent. It's a delicious shareable recipe that everyone loves!
Why you'll love it
- It's that classic peanut butter and chocolate flavor combo!
- It's naturally sweet, and healthier than store-bought
- It's a great make-ahead breakfast (or snack)
- It keeps stays fresh for at least a month!
Peanut butter granola ingredients
Here's everything you'll need to make this peanut butter granola recipe:
- Rolled oats – gluten-free, if necessary.
- Peanut butter – natural peanut butter tends to be runnier and the perfect consistency for this recipe.
- Honey – or use maple syrup to make it vegan.
- Oil – a light or neutral-flavored oil like olive, avocado, or melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate chips
How to make this peanut butter granola
Here's how we make this peanut butter granola in a few simple steps:
- While your oven preheats, mix the oats and peanuts together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small pot, warm the peanut butter, honey, oil, and vanilla (careful not to let it boil). Give the peanut butter mixture a stir, then pour it over the oats and mix.
- Prepare your baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Transfer the oat mixture to the baking sheet, and spread it out evenly. Bake it for about 45 minutes, mixing it twice during baking.
- When it's done, remove it from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips overtop. Mix them briefly then let the granola cool completely.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Store it in an airtight container in a cool dark cupboard.
When stored properly, granola will keep for at least a month!
Sure! It will taste a bit different, but most other nut butters like almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter would taste great in place of peanut butter.
This peanut butter recipe is made with real, whole ingredients and only honey for sweetness. The chocolate chips are an extra special addition but if you'd prefer to omit them, it will still be delicious.
To make it gluten-free, choose certified gluten-free rolled oats.
To make it vegan, simply swap the honey for maple syrup.
Peanut butter granola serving ideas
This peanut butter granola with chocolate chips is a super satisfying make-ahead breakfast or snack. Serve it with milk (or a dairy-free alternative), yogurt, sliced banana or other fruit, on top of smoothie bowls, or by the handful as a snack.
It's easy to pack it in a jar for a nutritious snack on hikes or when travelling.
It's also an easy thoughtful gift for friends, teachers, or new parents. Fill a mason jar, wrap a ribbon around it, and share it with another peanut butter lover!
Popular granola recipes
- Vanilla Almond Granola
- Chocolate Nut Superfood Granola
- Christmas Granola with Cranberries, White Chocolate, and Pistachios
Peanut Butter Granola
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup peanuts, or nuts of choice
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoon light-flavored oil, or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix the oats and peanuts in a large mixing bowl.3 cups rolled oats, 1 cup peanuts
- In a small pot over medium heat, warm the peanut butter, honey, oil, and vanilla. Do not let it boil! Stir then pour it over the oats and mix well.½ cup peanut butter, ¼ cup honey, 2 tablespoon light-flavored oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the oats to the baking sheet and spread out in an even layer. Bake the granola for 45 minutes, mixing it twice during baking.
- Remove the granola from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top. Mix them briefly then let the granola cool completely before storing it.½ cup dark chocolate chips