Sweet and Creamy Kale Waldorf Salad
Kale Waldorf Salad is a much healthier, but every bit as delicious version of the original. It's made with crisp apples, juicy grapes, crunchy walnuts, and a sweet and creamy yogurt dressing.
I was dreaming of Ambrosia salad the other day. You know that weird salad from the 80's that's made with marshmallows and whipped cream (or maybe even Cool Whip … cringe!) with nuts and some canned fruit. Can you imagine anything being less salad-like than Ambrosia Salad?
But hey, I'm not dissing it! Only lovingly teasing how ridiculously awesome it is. In my family, we call it Marshmallow Salad and my Aunty Denise (Hi Aunty Neecy!) would bring it every year for Christmas dinner. I'm not going to lie, it was one of my favorite parts of dinner.
Somehow my dreams of Ambrosia Salad got all twisted around and became a Kale Waldorf Salad. #SoNotComplaining
Kale Waldorf Salad is what happened to Ambrosia Salad after it spent 30 years growing up. It's still got that sweet and creamy thing going on and it's full of fresh fruit and nuts BUT the marshmallows, weird whipped topping and canned fruit have disappeared.
→ Truth ← I really wanted to keep the marshmallows in. It took some serious grown-up self-restraint not to put a bag of multi-colored mini marshmallows in my shopping basket. A solid 50% of the reason I didn't was because I thought you would roll your eyes at me for putting marshmallows in a salad. Would you have?
Aside from the obvious kale in the Kale Waldorf Salad (shocking, I know) I've loaded this with lots of sweet, tasty AND healthy for you tidbits.
There are crunchy apples and celery, sweet grapes, dried cranberries and toasted walnuts. All of this deliciousness is wrapped up in a sweet and creamy dressing that's made with thick, Greek yogurt, some honey, and a tiny bit of mayo.
I know Easter dinner is just around the corner and if you want your family to extra super love you this is the salad you want to bring. This is a revamped throwback that everyone's guaranteed to love.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More Delicious Salad Recipes:
- Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
- Roasted Winter Green Salad
- Arugula and Wild Rice Salad
- Crispy Kale Salad with Roasted Beets
- The Best Kale Salad
- Sesame Coconut Kale Salad
- Creamy Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
Kale Waldorf Salad is a much healthier, but every bit as delicious version of the original. It's made with crisp apples, juicy grapes, crunchy walnuts and a sweet and creamy yogurt dressing.
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (a neutral-flavored mayo such as Hellmann's works best)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Kale Waldorf Salad:
- 2 cups of curly kale, packed (I like use a little purple kale, just for color)
- 2 cups of grapes, halved (I like to use half green and half red grapes)
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 crisp apple, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Mix all the dressing ingredients with 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Place all the Kale Waldorf Salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Let the salad sit for at least a half-hour for the kale to soften and the flavors to blend together.
If you have any leftover salad, it keeps well for a couple of days in the fridge.