Fresh Summer Spaghetti
Fresh Summer Spaghetti is quick to make (20 mins!) and bursting with bright flavors. Cherry tomatoes are quickly sauteed with garlic and olive oil then tossed with a generous handful of basil. The pasta and sauce are tossed together then drizzled with some sweet balsamic vinegar. I like it with burrata or fresh mozzarella on the side. Summer pasta doesn't get better than this!
I know that summer and spaghetti aren't two things that generally go together, but this pasta recipe is 100% summer spaghetti approved.
The sauce is light and fresh yet still bursting with flavor.
Big time bonus: the sauce will be ready to go before your water boils and pasta cooks. It's crazy quick and easy to make. Read: more time to spend soaking up the warm evenings!
What the heck is summer spaghetti?
Forget a pot of sauce simmering on the stovetop for hours. Summer spaghetti is all about tasting the freshness of sun-ripened tomatoes. It's easy and simple and the individual flavors shine.
It is a 5-ingredient (and that includes the salt!), vegetarian spaghetti sauce that is bursting with flavor.
It is your favorite olive oil, sliced garlic, sweet cherry tomatoes, and loads of basil all well seasoned with sea salt.
It is a little piece of summer pasta heaven. ?
Is summer spaghetti vegan?
It totally can be! The sauce is 100% vegan.
In the pictures here, you'll see a big chunk of burrata sitting on top of the pasta. While I do love burrata, it's totally not necessary for the recipe to be delicious. I've eaten and love this recipe both as a vegetarian pasta and as a vegan pasta recipe.
The thing that you definitely shouldn't skip is the reduced balsamic vinegar. The sweetness it adds to the pasta is absolutely all things amazing.
Is summer spaghetti gluten-free?
Once again, it totally can be!
Choose your fav gluten-free spaghetti noodles and turn this into a gluten-free pasta recipe. It's that easy.
When I'm going gluten-free, I normally opt for Chickapea Pasta. Have you tried it? It's my favorite but unfortunately, they don't have spaghetti yet. (Insert sad faced emoji.) Keeping my fingers crossed that one day they will! You could easily serve this with their penne or spirals and it would still be delicious.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Fresh Summer Spaghetti is quick to make and bursting with bright flavors. Cherry tomatoes are quickly sauteed with garlic and olive oil then tossed with a generous handful of basil. The pasta and sauce are tossed together then drizzled with some sweet balsamic vinegar. Summer pasta doesn't get better than this!
| vegetarian + gluten-free + vegan adaptable |
- 400 grams dried spaghetti (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 cups (about 2 1/2 lb.) cherry tomatoes, half of them cut in half
- 1/2 ounce basil, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 lb. burrata or buffalo mozzarella (omit for vegan)
- Reduced balsamic vinegar, to drizzle (don't skip this!)
- Put a large pot of salted water on high heat. When it comes to a boil, cook the spaghetti according to package direction. Before you drain the spaghetti, remove a cup of the pasta water and set it aside.
- While the water is heating, begin cutting the tomatoes and making the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and let it cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and let them cook, stirring occasionally, until the whole cherry tomatoes begin to burst, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil and sea salt.
- When the pasta is cooked and drained, add it back into the pot you cooked it in. Add the sauce to the pan and a splash of the reserved pasta water. Toss and add more pasta water if it seems a little dry. (I usually end up adding about 3/4 cup of pasta water.)
- Serve the pasta with the burrata on top (if you're using it) and a generous drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar.