These firecracker meatballs are our version of the Hello Fresh recipe and are absolutely delicious. The homemade baked meatballs are loaded with Asian flavors then served with a spicy, sweet, creamy, and savory firecracker sauce. Serve them for dinner or as an appetizer!
Complete the meal with a side of basmati rice and some roasted broccoli. And if you love meatballs, also try our hoisin meatballs!
Hello Fresh firecracker meatballs
We love Hello Fresh firecracker meatballs that are smothered in a creamy, sweet, and spicy sauce. They're pretty irresistible. But after making them a few times, we found that they're even better with a few minor changes.
- We use a mix of pork and beef for even juicier meatballs.
- Instead of breadcrumbs, we use almond flour, which makes the meatballs even more tender.
- We use more aromatics (ginger, onion, and garlic) for more flavorful meatballs.
Ground beef and pork – We use a mixture of these two to make the meatballs juicy. You could use ground chicken to turn them into firecracker chicken meatballs.
Almond flour – We've found that almond flour works the best to help the meatballs retain moisture. Quick oats are another great substitute. If you don't have either of those on hand, you can use breadcrumbs.
Sriracha – This is our hot sauce of choice for this recipe as it has lots of flavor but isn't crazy spicy. If you choose another brand, you may want to add more or less depending on how spicy it is.
Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and green onions – These four give the meatballs so much flavor.
The firecracker sauce
- Mayonnaise and sour cream – Both can be light to reduce calories. For a dairy-free version, use all mayonnaise.
- Honey – Make sure to use liquid honey so it blends well into the sauce.
- Sriracha – The flavor of sriracha works well in the sauce. Add more if you want it spicier.
- Rice vinegar – You can also use apple cider vinegar.
Firecracker meatball FAQs
Yes, but the recipe won't taste quite as good. We add a lot of flavor to our meatballs which make them taste so much better than the ones you buy in the store. Just keep that in mind if you decide to use frozen meatballs.
The meatballs (without the sauce) are not very spicy so most people will be able to eat them. If you have young children at the table, try making this curry dipping sauce for them and the firecracker sauce for the adults.
Cooked meatballs will keep well for 3-4 days in your fridge.
Yes! Meatballs freeze very well. Place them in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and put them into your freezer. Once they're frozen, move them to a freezer-proof container. NOTE: the sauce does not freeze well.
How to serve firecracker meatballs?
These firecracker meatballs are a flexible recipe that can easily be served for dinner (like the Hello Fresh version!) or be turned into an appetizer. If you're serving these meatballs as a starter, pile them onto a plate and serve the sauce on the side for dipping.
Sides that go well with firecracker meatballs
If you're serving these meatballs for dinner, a side of basmati rice and some roasted broccoli or sauteed green beans with garlic completes the meal. Here are a few other sides that go well with these meatballs:
- Garlic Butter Rice
- Favorite Coconut Rice
- Sauteed Bok Choy with Ginger and Garlic
- Garlic Butter Sugar Snap Peas
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
More buffalo sauce recipes
Popular meatball recipes
- Tex-Mex Meatballs
- Cranberry Meatballs
- Lemongrass Vietnamese Meatballs
- Sweet Hoisin Meatballs
- Turkish Meatballs
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, gluten-free if needed
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped (whites for the meatballs and greens to serve)
- Sesame seeds, to serve
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, can be light
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, can be light
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, can sub apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Form into 1 ½ inch meatballs – a medium-sized cookie scoop works great for this! Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground pork, ½ cup almond flour, 2 tablespoons sriracha, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons grated ginger, 4 cloves garlic, 4 green onions
- While the meatballs are in the oven, mix the firecracker sauce in a medium-sized bowl then set it aside.2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 tablespoons liquid honey, 1 tablespoon sriracha, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- When the meatballs are fully cooked, remove them from the oven, plate them, then drizzle them with the firecracker sauce and sprinkle the green onions and some sesame seeds over the top.
This recipe is part of our Healthy Super Bowl Recipes series.
This was even better than the Hello Fresh recipe! Thank you for sharing.
Do you process the quick oats into flour to replace the almond flour or leave it whole?
If you’re substituting quick oats you can add them in as is. 🙂
That sauce is so delicious – perfect for dipping those tasty meatballs in.
Pinned to make again for the family! Can’t wait! Thank you. 🙂
This firecracher sauce is absolutely amazing. I love the heat of the sriracha sauce, combined with the sweetness of the honey. The mayonnaise and sour cream create a sauce with a perfect consistency.
Absolutely delicious meatballs; thank you for this fantastic recipe! I will make it again!!
These are super yum and easy! They’ll be a staple in my house now…
Can you substitute almond flour for regular flour? I am not buying a bag of almond flour just to use a half cup!
I would recommend using breadcrumbs instead. 🙂