Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
This one-pot creamy sun-dried tomato chicken is quick, hearty, and full of flavor. Tender chicken breasts are pan-seared until golden brown then simmered in a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce. Serve it with pasta, potatoes, or crusty bread for an easy and delicious meal that's ready in just 30 minutes!
Sun-dried tomatoes make a comeback with this cozy Italian-style chicken dish. Perfectly tender chicken breasts are cooked in a creamy flavorful sauce that's bursting with bold sun-dried tomato flavor and hinted with garlic and our homemade Italian seasoning.
It's easy to turn into a meal and it pairs perfectly with a simple side of mashed potatoes, pasta, or crusty bread to mop up all the delicious sauce.
It's an ideal meal for weeknights when you want something delicious and nutritious, but don't have a lot of time. It's equally fancy enough to serve to guests at a dinner or holiday party! Bonus? It all cooks in one pan so clean-up is a breeze!
How to make sun-dried tomato chicken
This is an easy recipe for weeknights or a simple yet delicious dinner to share with friends. Here's how to make it in a couple of easy steps:
- Start by patting the chicken breasts dry with paper towels, then pound them so they become even in thickness – we like to use the palm of our hand for this task, you could also use a mallet or rolling pin. Then, coat the chicken in flour seasoned with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Next, sear the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides.
- Now, make it saucy! Cook the garlic for a few seconds and then add the chicken stock, cream, and sun-dried tomatoes. Then, add the spinach and give it a minute to wilt.
- Pop the chicken and any of those tasty juices into the pan and simmer the whole deal for a few minutes until the cream reduces a little. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato chicken
Here's what you'll need to make this creamy sun-dried tomato chicken recipe:
- Chicken breasts – boneless skinless chicken breasts are what we use in this recipe.
- Flour – regular all-purpose flour for coating the chicken and giving it a crispy exterior.
- Italian seasoning – we use our homemade Italian seasoning but you can use store-bought or a mix of your favorite Italian herbs.
- Salt + pepper
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth – chicken stock is the base of the sauce (use low sodium, if needed). Veggie stock also works if that's what you have available.
- Cream – we prefer a heavy cream for a full-flavor sauce, but you can use half and half for a lighter taste and feel.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – the intense sweet-tart taste of sun-dried tomatoes add a lot of potent tomato flavor to this dish.
- Spinach – baby spinach or regular spinach leaves will work equally well.
Tip: you can use the oil in the jar of sun-dried tomatoes to cook the chicken for extra flavor! If this causes the remaining sun-dried tomatoes in the jar to be out of the oil, pour a little olive oil into the jar so that they are covered.
Variations to try
Don't get us wrong, this dish is incredibly delicious as-is but here are some ways we like to add even more flavor:
- Top with an added sprinkle of parmesan cheese before serving
- Garnish with fresh herbs like fresh basil or oregano
- Add a bit of heat to the sauce by adding a teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes
Yep! Just be sure that they're boneless skinless chicken thighs so they cook evenly and thoroughly.
We use heavy whipping cream (36% MF) for a full flavor sauce, but you can use half-and-half or light cream for a lighter-tasting sauce.
Leftovers will keep in a sealed container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
What to serve with creamy sun-dried tomato chicken
There are so many delicious ways you can enjoy this Italian-inspired dish. Just make sure whatever you serve it with will help you soak up the flavorful sauce.
Popular creamy chicken recipes
- Creamy Chicken Lazone
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Stew with Dumplings
- Creamy Cajun Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken with Spinach
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 medium chicken breasts, pounded
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, see notes – sun dried tomato oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- Dry the chicken well with paper towels. Place them on a cutting board then use the heel of your palm to gently pound the chicken so that it is even in thickness. Mix the flour, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl then coat the chicken in the flour.4 medium chicken breasts, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Heat the oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 5 minutes per side, until it is golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan.2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add the garlic to the pan and let it cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock and cream and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any stuck-on bits. Stir the sun-dried tomatoes into the sauce. Add the spinach to the pan and let it wilt.2 cloves garlic, ½ cup chicken stock, ½ cup cream, ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes, 2 cups spinach leaves
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pan and let it simmer in the sauce for 3-4 minutes, until the cream reduces a little.